1938 oil pan

Guest RonJar

Guest RonJar

Hi, I have an oil leak at the front corner of my oil pan, just on the angled part of the pan between the side and front portion if you know what I mean. From what I can tell, it's not the front seal but the pan gasket that's leaking. To look at things, the pan has been off recently. (before I purchased it this past winter).

My question, am I better off to use a new gasket or can I use one of the silicone-based gasket makers and no gasket? I have had luck with the "gasket in a tube" sort of thing but not for this specific application.

Any suggestions for me?

RonJ

Ron,

I agree with Grant, but when you remove the pan it is important to verify the gasket surface is still flat. Over-tightening the flange bolts often distorts the gasket surface. Place it on a flat surface (garage floor if it is smooth and flat) and use a small hammer to true up the gasket surface befor re-installing it.

Also, when using silicone gasket maker, tighten the mounting bolts just over finger tight (just enough to see some squeeze out of the flange), then let it set up overnight to form the new seal. Complete the final torque the next morning and go for a drive...

My $0.02

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

Guest RonJar

Thanks for the tips fellows.

Was looking at the leak, real close and with a dental mirror. I get the feeling that oil is coming out at the very bottom of the timing cover gasket right where it meets up with the oil pan.

Wonder if I could be lucky enough to clean and then force some silicone between the timing cover and block right where the oil pan meets them. Taking the pan off is pretty straight forward, the timing cover is a bit of a nasty job.

For the price of the silicone and a rainy day, I might just try getting some sealer in to that gap. Nothing to lose!!

RonJ.

Guest Grant Magrath

Silicone and oil don't really like each other that much, and so I wouldn't recommend it Ron. I'd spring for a new oil pan gasket and some Permatex Copper, or similar, and get the car up on ramps to sort it. Clean everything up with thinners so it's spotless before attacking it, and you should be sweet!

Cheers

Grant