Software Flash

Guest 89TCMaserati

Guest 89TCMaserati

What are the benefits of getting the 1989 TC 2.2Turbo software flashed? It only costs $115, so I'm wondering what the benefits are...:D

Guest Jim_McNally

We would need to know exactly what "flash" you're talking about...

Our cars' engine computers (SMEC) can't be actually "flashed" like a modern one - the EPROM chip is physically replaced with a re-programmed one. Several good vendors do this - you can find them in this forum (search for SMEC or "chip"). My 8V has one, but I seldom run it. It came with the vehicle, and it changes the air/fuel mixture and boost curve. It increases the power noticeably, but also puts out black carbon at the exhaust and uses a lot more gas. Since the automatic trans in the 2.2 TII can't handle much more torque than the stock engine puts out, I put the original one back in so I don't kill the transmission.

Then again, I know several folks who love the extra power and will worry about the trans later...

Jim

its definately not 115$ either. the stock upgrade for an 89 auto car is an 89 TII smec from a dodge daytona or lebaron gtc. both were 5spds. issue being, the auto trans doesnt like more hp that the 89T2 5spd smec makes than the stock tc 89 t2 auto smec.

Guest 89TCMaserati

The "flash" is a software flash from the Dodge dealership on the 2.2 Turbo - 1989 TC. It is supposed to increase shift points and add power to the turbo. Is no one familiar with this S/W flash? :confused:

to almost anybody with knowledge of these and other dodge turbo cars, the software is enclosed in the smec box. its all epoxy cemented into the board. to change software, the box gets fitted with a socket and then can accept chips with new programs for shift points, boost, etc. dodge never did the flashes on older turbo cars. they might on srt4 neons and calibers or srt8 cars.

Guest Jim_McNally

Also, the A413 transmission in the 89 TII TC is not electronically controlled, so no "flash" could conceivably change shift points. Now the 90-91s with the V6 and 4spd auto do have a control box. I think the dealership is either confused, wrong, or smoking something...

Jim

Guest 89TCMaserati

This thread has been very informative. I am the new owner of the 1989 TC that was previously owned by the Dodge (and Chrysler) dealer, Mr. Perkins. My mechanic, Vince Fiero, was the head mechanic when Perkins bought this car, so he has expert knowledge first-hand that the SW flash does do all of these things. Thanks for being such a light-hearted group, though. Looking forward to a long relationship with my Maserati, em, Chrysler TC...:cool: