1956 oldsmobile questions

Guest cobalt3

Guest cobalt3

#1 what id the can on the passengers side by the hood hinge? #2 what is missing on the drivers side where i put the other yellow dot? #3 what is the best way to remove all outside trim especially these last two..#4 how to you take apart and remove all windshield wiper assemblys...thanks

post-81981-143138871441_thumb.jpg

post-81981-143138871449_thumb.jpg

post-81981-143138871465_thumb.jpg

I believe the can under the fender is the power brake vacuum tank. These used to be mounted under the driver, but '56 was the first year for factory dual exhaust and the tank was in the way.

The mounting holes for the thing that is missing - the only thing I know they mounted there was the box for the Autronic Eye. But I could be wrong.

I can't answer your other questions.

Paul

Guest pete324rock

I looked in the manual and am puzzled because the easiest guess would be air conditioner for the yellow dot,but there are no holes left behind that lead into the passenger compartment for the air to flow thru and plus ,it doesn't look the same...but someone with experience may have a better idea since I don't have air. I have trim for your car, that model, if you are looking for some. Let me know....it doesn't fit mine.

Guest Bob Call

Is that an Olds 455 lying in the engine compartment? Will that be the engine for the car?

I once had 56 88 but I don't remember what was at the driver's side firewall where you have the dot. The canister on the passenger side is the vacuum reservoir for the brake booster.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)