Coolant Leak

Guest Birdman

Guest Birdman

I have a leak that has been bugging me.

Seems to be comming from under the thermostat housing on the cross over.

Is the cross over sealed to the timing chain cover with an o-ring?

Any kind of sealant used with the o-ring?

Is this a known problem area?

It's a 65 401.

Guest rsmalling

Birdman,

Yes its an oring that connects the crossover to the timing cover. If your crossover and timing cover are in good shape it should just seal up fine. Otherwise a little black rtv wont hurt, along with replacing the o ring.

Rob,

Any idea on what type of o-ring is used? I haven't seen a fel-pro or other listing yet on one.

Also, another member warned me not to remove the cross-over because getting that o-ring sealed up again is really difficult. He wished he had never done that on his '65.

Any comments on that?

Thanks!!

Guest rsmalling

Chuck,

I think in the felpro water pump gasket set you get the gaskets and the oring for the cross over pipe as well. I could be wrong, its been a while since I did one. I think I have the set at my shop, Ill chk tomorrow. But I know you can get it.

First clean up the pipe and the timing cover where the oring goes real well. if its in good shape, coat the oring with some silicon grease and assemble, you will have to rock it back and forth and apply some downward pressure and it will go together. Thats how I have done it.

hope this helps.

Guest Rob J

Yes, I have a Felpro engine gasket kit, and it came with the O-ring for the water manifold, as well as the distributor O-ring.