Pics of 1965 Riviera GS Project

Guest carlbraun

Guest carlbraun

rob and all

here are some pics of my 65 Riviera GS. Verde/Verde paint and interior and, according to my restoration professional the car is one of the cleanest he's seen. All panels are original but there were two side marker lights carved into the original quater panels by the previous owner. The car drove great but now has all new springs, suspension bushings, painted and detalied undercarraige. The engine runs exceptionally strong so I couldnt justify pulling the motor as it was rebuilt in 2007. The orignal BS code turbo 400 was rebuilt as was the 3:42 posi.

Heres a pic of the car after driving it and enjoying it for a while....before the restoration process started

NewRivPics003.jpg

Heres a pic midway through paint removal with a few pieces of glass and dash still intact

Rivpieces049.jpg

Hood, fenders, inner door panels, outer door panels, trunk lid, door hinges and misc items removed and blasted with walnut shells.

Rivpieces051.jpg

wiring harness ready for removal and restoration

NewRivPics014.jpg

Rivpieces050.jpg

Edited by carlbraun (see edit history)

Thanks for the pics Carl. Looks like you are doing a fine job. Since you've gone this far, I'd suggest pulling out the windshield and checking your cowl for any signs of rot or leakage. As solid as my white car is, there was one trouble spot in the driver's cowl area. It was small and easy to take care of now with the body shell stripped however.

Also, remove your dash pad and store it to protect it. Only 4 screws hold it in place. Also, it's not hard to remove the rain gutter stainless moldings. Use a paint can opener, and gently pry them off little by little.

Keep the pics coming.

Rob.

Guest carlbraun
Thanks for the pics Carl. Looks like you are doing a fine job. Since you've gone this far, I'd suggest pulling out the windshield and checking your cowl for any signs of rot or leakage. As solid as my white car is, there was one trouble spot in the driver's cowl area. It was small and easy to take care of now with the body shell stripped however.

Also, remove your dash pad and store it to protect it. Only 4 screws hold it in place. Also, it's not hard to remove the rain gutter stainless moldings. Use a paint can opener, and gently pry them off little by little.

Keep the pics coming.

rob

I am shying away from removing the rain gutter moldings as i've talked to a few guys that say they never go on as good as they should and/or there will be a ding or two. My body man says no problem so I'll leave the trim on the rails.

The windows are already out and I'm happy with the looks of the the cowl lip. I havent looked at my manual yet to determine where the four screws are for the dash pad but will today and maybe I can have the pad removed soon.

Updates to follow.

Guest carlbraun
Just feel under the lip of the dash and you'll find the screws; or lie on your back and look up. They'll be easy to find.

Ed

thanks Ed...I'll give it a shot later today...pics to follow

carl