Frederick Gordon-Crosby

In the 1930's there were few automotive artists in England more famous than Frederick Gordon-Crosby. Born in 1895, he passed away in August 1943, after having left a large amount of work in pencil, pastels, oil and even sculptures, including that of radiator mascots that now are valued as high as the best of Lalique's.

Gordon-Crosby, working at one of the greatest periods in the history of the car, did an enormous amount to glamorize motoring and motorsport of his time. It’s no wonder that his artworks fetch such high prices, and that both imitators and forgers exist.

Gordon-Crosby had a log association with The Autocar, then The Motor magazines.

From Wikipedia:

Crosby also produced a set of 30, full color caricatures of the foremost racers of the day with their cars, and worked on a number of plaques, sculptures and medallions of motoring subjects commissioned as trophies. Unfortunately, most of these are now missing.

I personally do not know where the others are, but I have owned these four originals since the late 1980's, purchased in an auction in London. The represent John Cobb in his Railton, with Pat Driscoll in his diminutive Austin 7 racing car, another George Eyston in the MG "Magic Midget" record car, a third is Dick Seaman in the modified Delage Grand Prix car, and last is Ed MacClure in the Riley TT.

I cherish these, that are framed and are hanging on the few spaces left free from my wife's beautiful paintings. I posted their pictures here for your enjoyment. The quality of the pictures is poor because there is glass on them and I need to get better shots, but you get the idea. All four of these were published (albeit in black & white) in the pages of The Motor in the middle 1930's.

post-83191-143138844627_thumb.jpg

post-83191-14313884463_thumb.jpg

post-83191-143138844634_thumb.jpg

post-83191-143138844636_thumb.jpg

Edited by T54 (see edit history)

• 9 years later...