SPRING BOLT--HELP

broker-len

<hr style="color:; background-color:" size="1">

MY PARTS BOOK CALLS IT A SPRING BOLT PART NUMBER 41486 HOLDS THE FRONT OF THE FRONT LEAF SPRING UP ON 32 pa PLYMOUTH--HAVE FOUND ONES THAT ARE CLOSE BUT LOOKING FOR THE ONE IN PICTURE 3 1/8 INCH LONG EXCLUDING HEAD AND 9/16 SIZE WITH GREASE HOLE----- CAN YOU HELP ???????? ------CONTACT AT BOBNROMAN@YAHOO.COM

post-75136-14313884269_thumb.jpg

Guest DodgeKCL

I make and repair my own. Just find a modern bolt of the correct length,thread and style. Heat the bolt head and area down to the hole depth up to red hot and place in engine oil to anneal it. Drill a hole down from the head to the approx. spot the original hole was,it's not critical. Drill a hole at 90 degrees to meet that hole. The diameter is not critical as only grease is going through it. Drill and tap the hole in the bolt head to suit for a grease fitting and screw in grease fitting to test for fit. Remove grease fitting and heat bolt back up to near red hot and quickly place in room temperature water to harden it. Put bolt into spring shackle and tighten. Screw in grease fitting now as it is easier to put bolt in shackle without grease fitting in the way.

Even if you find a spring shackle bolt that is near the dimensions of yours they can be modified. The 2 holes are not critcal because they only pass grease. The only trouble with modifying any bolt is it's hardness. The rehardening of the bolt is not critical. I suppose it would not pass muster with an engineering firm but you won't wear it out in your lifetime.

Thanks so much !!!!!!!! I am kind of anal when it comes to my cars always try to get original equipment ----- that seems like alot of work !!!!! I do have some that are close that I can use or,,,, really can use the originals but they are worn some one out there has to have these laying around ----thanks agan for you post-----------BR