Where does this bushing go? -63 Riv

Guest Lasse

Just bought a front-end rebuild kit from Kanter, and most of the stuff in the box makes sense. However, these ones (there´s two of them) in the picture don´t. Where do they go?

Also, there seem´s to be a bushing or a bumper wedged between the upper control arm and the frame, what´s that? There doesn´t seem to be anything like that in my kit.

Still also: As you can see, this is my first go in front-end restoration. Any, and I mean ANY good advice, hints and tips are welcome.

Thanks.

post-75661-143138830206_thumb.jpg

They are the busings for what Buick calls the Brake Retraction Rod which is the shorter straight stabilizer rods that run from the lower control arms (below the stablizer bar) and through the front frame cross brace. The bushing goes into the frame and the rod runs through it and is bolted down.

Eric

They are the busings for what Buick calls the Brake Retraction Rod which is the shorter straight stabilizer rods that run from the lower control arms (below the stablizer bar) and through the front frame cross brace. The bushing goes into the frame and the rod runs through it and is bolted down.

Eric

Are you sure about that Eric? I think those are the Front Lower Control arm bushings. The brake reaction rod bushings are different, and are not one solid piece like in the photo.

I have the same Kanter Front End kit.

As far as tips, having access to a press helps matters greatly. I have a cheap Harbor Freight 12 ton press that I've had for about 5 years or so, and it has worked well, and paid for itself.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Are you sure about that Eric? I think those are the Front Lower Control arm bushings. The brake reaction rod bushings are different, and are not one solid piece like in the photo.

I have the same Kanter Front End kit.

As far as tips, having access to a press helps matters greatly. I have a cheap Harbor Freight 12 ton press that I've had for about 5 years or so, and it has worked well, and paid for itself.

Rob... now that you mention it I believe you are correct. Both bushings look similar but the one in his hand is larger than the stabilizer one and not as much rubber exposed.

Lasse... Yes, there will only be two of them - one for each lower control arm that attaches to the frame. The upper control arms will have 4 of them.

You will need a vice press or a screw down spanner clamp press made to get them in and out. Years ago I just hammered them out but you risk damage that way but that was in the days you could just get a rebuilt lower control arm off the chain parts store shelves.

Rob, how many of those should there be in a kit? 1 or two per side? I got two, hope that´s enough!

Yep, one lower control arm bushing per side of the car. You should definitely get yourself a chassis service manual if you don't already have one. Best money you'll spend.

Thanks guys. Does the bushing come off with the lower arm or do I need to pull the bushing when the arm is still attached to the frame? I mean do I need to find a tool that can handle the business under the car or can I do it with a press across town? :)

The lower control arm comes off the car ...the bushing stays is in the K member under the car... I did it on my back with the car on jack stands but I would HIGHLY suggest you get the car on a lift so your working angle is better ...it was not any fun the way I did it.

Lasse... give that shop manual PDF link I posted a look. It gives you procedures and diagrams. You will have an issue with the coil spring though so for me I would work sitting as close to the ground you can trying to wrangle seating the coil.

Dealing with removing control arms on any vehicle is not holiday so be prepared to spend some "patient" time on them.

You may want to try and find the price difference in buying a recycled (rebuilt) control arm. Could save you some headaches.

I have worked on nearly every part of a car years ago... everything except the transmission. I always left that up to someone else more experienced.

Eric

Thanks Eric! That PDF is great. It really just now hit me that I need to remove the springs also.

In your experience, how should I proceed with the whole business, I mean in which order? I´m going (if the V8-gods are with me) to renew all of the following:

upper ball joints

lower ball joints

stabilizer link kits

outer tie rod ends

strut bushing kits

upper inner bushings

lower inner bushings

I have the wheel & brake assembly off, what shall I attack first and where to proceed? I´m just trying to minimize my agony here...

Hi Lasse!

Where did You get the kit? I got mine from PST, but it´s missing the sway bar bushings (their super front end kit should include them..). I e-mailed them but I haven´t got an aswer yet.

I´m not going to replace all the parts yet, just the ones that are in bad shape. I´ll replace the rest later, when I install the air bags ;).

Jouni

• 2 months later...

before you start-get a manual.it will be the best money you will ever spend on your project.follow there instructions.these are hard to get out and in.i used a 4 inch pipe and washers with allthread.got it done but bent the allthread-use a press.