Military Pre-War Packard ??

Guest terrellda

Guest terrellda

I have a 1941 Packard 160 Sedan Senior Eight (NOT a clipper) w/dual side mounts, that was used as an Army Staff General Car at Fort Hood. It was purchased by my grandfather in the late 50's. The question I have is the spot where the normal Packard Silkscreened identification plate would be, is a plate that is stamped:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I472 - 280I<o:p></o:p>

TEXAS MOTORS<o:p></o:p>

GALVESTON 7 - 2 - 41<o:p></o:p>

Does anyone have any ideas? Did the Military remove the original Packard plates and place these on the cars? Does anyone have or know of someone who has a military Packard?<o:p></o:p>

Also trying to decide whether or not to go back to military specs or do a period correct civilian restoration. The car was painted Packard Blue by my Grandfather and reupholstered the interior in blue. <o:p></o:p>

Is it possible the plate is still there but everything other than the original (vehicle specific) stamping may have worn away? The numeric 1 showing as a capital "I" in the vehicle number is the correct Packard font which would have been on the plate from the factory while the rest would have been stamped by the dealer. The stamped information that you have is exactly the same type of information stamped on the data plate on my '41 180 Limo (factory stamped Vehicle Number, dealer stamped Place of sale, Date of sale). Photo?

Edited by JD in KC (see edit history)