1922 buick 4 cyl water outlet/neck needed

Guest JosR

Hello Gents, I just purchased my first pre-war car (Buick Model 22-four-35) and I'm missing a few parts which is keeping me from taking the family out for our first joy ride in the vehicle. I'm looking for the upper cast water inlet/neck that bolts to the top front of the head. Please call me if you have this part. Thanks for your help getting me on the road. Jos Roach Upland, Ca. 714 614-3396<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

post-82100-14313879573_thumb.jpg

JosR, well I have been waiting to see if you would get a reply. None so far so this is what I would do. The chances of finding the coolant neck is near on impossible. So I would fabricate one.

I would go to your favorite exhaust or auto parts supply house. I would find a flat exhaust flange that would fit over the two studs. They look pretty standard. Then I would have them bend and weld an appropriate sized pipe to the flange. Make yourself a gasket, paint the pipe the engine color, attach the hose and you are done.

I would not bother putting a lip on the pipe where the hose attaches. There is no pressure on this joint so just a clamp will work just fine. It will probably cost you less than $50 to make one. You might have to some grinding on the flange to make it fit in the space.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks John, I took your advice and others and made a water neck from plate steel and 1" steel tubing. I got the car running this last weekend. I do have one issue I need some guidance on. When I have the car in neutral and go to shift into first at an idle the gears want to grind even though I have the clutch pedal to the floor. I adjusted the clutch and the car does not move when I start it in gear so I'm a little stumped right now. I tapped on my discs in the clutch while the clutch pedal was depressed to ensure they were not stuck and they are not. I bolted the multiple disc clutch to the flywheel since this was all in pieces when I got the car. I opened my parts list book for this car and it shows a sizable spring that I don;t recall having. Any ideas? Thanks for all of your help. The folks on this site have been more than kind. Thanks, Jos 714 614-3396

Jos, you need to use 600 wt oil in the transmission to slow down the gears during the shift. It also takes a nice, easy, and slow shift to get them from having the gears clash. Remember, no syncros on these transmissions.

Even with the oil, I usually clash going into first gear unless I go slow and feel it slip in to second. Shifting is an art in the 20s cars.

You can get the oil at most Model A shops like Restoration Stuff. You will need, as I remember, three quarts.

See if this helps.

Jos.My first question why not use Pre War Buick for your questions.

If you don`t have the spring in the clutch you can`t drive,the spring is to get the clutch plates in tuch with eatch other very hard,and without that you can`t have the car to move.Here are some pictures how the spring looks.I think the shortest one is for 4cyl.models and the other for later 6 cyl.models.But I think you can use both types in your Buick.The shotest is 4"high , 5/16" thick 6 turn outer diam.2 7/8" inner 2 5/16" and the other one 5" high, 9/32" thick 6 turn outer diam.3" inner 2 7/16".

Leif in Sweden

post-31268-143138814878_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143138814887_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143138814896_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

Jos, you need to use 600 wt oil in the transmission to slow down the gears during the shift. It also takes a nice, easy, and slow shift to get them from having the gears clash. Remember, no syncros on these transmissions.

Even with the oil, I usually clash going into first gear unless I go slow and feel it slip in to second. Shifting is an art in the 20s cars.

You can get the oil at most Model A shops like Restoration Stuff. You will need, as I remember, three quarts.

See if this helps.

Thanks John, I have 85-140 Wt in the gear box now. Leif replied also to my question about the spring. I'm guessing that the spring must already be in clutch assembly as the clutch does engage when I let off on the clutch pedal. I was only guessing that this single spring might have some relationship with the forged 6 splined part that sits in the center of the clutchthat mates with the input shaft of the transmission. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge on what to call these parts! I will order the 600 WT and see if that lets me get into gear at idle without to much fuss. Thanks for all of your help! Josh 714 614-3396

Thanks Leif for the direction on the prewar buick site! Jos

JosR. A common problem with this type of clutch is that the clutch disk "rings" very often are fastened together,it also happends on late 20s Buick too and it happend when I had bought my Buick 1925 Std. in 1967.Remove the lower fly wheel housing 4 or 6 bolts .Ask anyone to press the pedal to floor, then you have to see the the parts goes fri inside the clutch,if not, use a skrewdriver to bend between the plates so you are sure they will go free when the pedal is pressed .

Leif in Sweden.

JosR. A common problem with this type of clutch is that the clutch disk "rings" very often are fastened together,it also happends on late 20s Buick too and it happend when I had bought my Buick 1925 Std. in 1967.Remove the lower fly wheel housing 4 or 6 bolts .Ask anyone to press the pedal to floor, then you have to see the the parts goes fri inside the clutch,if not, use a skrewdriver to bend between the plates so you are sure they will go free when the pedal is pressed .

Leif in Sweden.

Thanks Leif for your advice... I will push the pedal to the floor and ensure each disc is free as you suggested. I'm wondering if I should cut a board to hold the clutch pedal to the floor when I park the car each time? Thanks again for all of your input. I hope to be driving the car this evening and seeing some smiles along the way. Thanks, Josh

Josh.I`m glad you understand what I ment,and hope you could take the Buick on the road sonest possible.

Leif in Sweden.

Hi Leif, I did get to drive the car and the transmission is perfect know after using a screw driver to pry the discs apart as well as adding the 600w gear oil. It works perfectly! Thanks for your expertise. The car was a joy to drive and had people stopping on the side of the road to watch it go by... Thanks again for everyones advice and help. Know its time to lean it up and take the kids out for a ride! Thanks, Jos:)