1968 gs 400 sportwagon

Guest tooyub

Guest tooyub

Hello, please discuss any knowlage with me. Around 1974 my father bought a 1968 gs 400 sportwagon. I cannot find any info that the car exists today, but it was real. I know alot about our car. Today I can only regret damaging it as a teen driver. I believe it also had the stg.1 package aswell. This car was optioned out to the max. Does anyone have info of this model? What would it be worth today?

Guest my3buicks

Are you sure it wasn't a 1968 400 Sportwagon - The 400 had the 400-cu.in. four-barrel (available only with the Sportwagon “400″). Also touting a 10.25:1 compression, it was rated at 340hp and 440-lbs.ft. of torque. They also had the Super Turbine 400 transmission.

It would have had a 400 badge on the rar quarters under the Sportwagon name script.

That is a misconception often found when people see the 400 badge assuming it is a GS 400.

There was no GS model of the Wagon offered in 68, although you never know back then what might have snuck out of the factory for a Buick bigwig.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

These two threaads need combined - there is a thread running on the AACA forum about the same car/topic so you get a lot of overlap.

Indeed the Sportwagons were available with the 400 engine that was also used in the GS HT's and converts. There are a few of them out there that have gained GS hood and badging over the years (and some Olds Vista Cruisers with 442 trim). I have kept mine stock although a dual exhaust system would have been nice.

post-49827-143138799657_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fred_S
wording (see edit history)

Indeed the Sportwagons were available with the 400 engine that was also used in the GS HT's and converts. There are a few of them out there that have gained GS hood and badging over the years (and some Olds Vista Cruisers with 442 trim). I have kept mine stock although a dual exhaust system would have been nice.

Fred ,

I didn't keep my 68 400 wagon stock. Go on You tube and punch in " Street legal 9 sec Buick Wagon "

Bill

Guest wildcat465
Fred ,

I didn't keep my 68 400 wagon stock. Go on You tube and punch in " Street legal 9 sec Buick Wagon "

Bill

Oh dear. Bill, now you've done it. Encouraging him is troublesome. :eek:

Guest my3buicks

Here is the thread from the AACA forum on this car/topic

Does anybody have info on this model?

6 Days Ago #2

my3buicks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure it wasn't a 1968 400 Sportwagon - The 400 had the 400-cu.in. four-barrel (available only with the Sportwagon “400″). Also touting a 10.25:1 compression, it was rated at 340hp and 440-lbs.ft. of torque. They also had the Super Turbine 400 transmission.

It would have had a 400 badge on the rear quarters under the Sportwagon name script.

That is a misconception often found when people see the 400 badge assuming it is a GS 400.

There was no GS model of the Wagon offered in 68, although you never know back then what might have snuck out of the factory for a Buick bigwig.

Keith Bleakney

Club affiliations: Lambda Car Club International , AACA, BCA #11475

1967(3517) Special Deluxe Hardtop AACA/BCA Sr

1972(46667)Centurion Convertible

Subaru Outback L L Bean H6

Hyundai Sonata Limited

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty,and some are dull.Some have weird names, and all are different colors. But they all have to live in the same box.

6 Days Ago #3

tooyub

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes it had a gs badge and if i'm not mistakin also a stg.1 sticker an the valve cover. my father was very passionate about how special the car was. he bought it from a doctor or someone like that in san marino ca.

6 Days Ago #4

tooyub

I would love to talk to people about this, that car was totally optioned out,everything, roof rack, coilovers al lthe way, buick rally's with beauty rings, harington air, pwr seats n windows n locks, 400 turbo trans, 4 core side tanks, factory flex fan, special order spark plugs, that was strange, the water pump too.

6 Days Ago #5

NTX5467

Sr Mbr -- BCA 20811

Some of the things mentioned, about making it "special", with all due respect, were NOT factory options or equipment, but "aftermarket" items which were obviously added by an owner after it left the factory.

In the basic use of the Buick 400 V-8 in that chassis, even a station wagon, it would have had the Turbo 400 trans (although there were SuperTurbine 300s in earlier years that went behind the 400 cid V-8s).

"Four core radiators" didn't usually exist back then, either, especially as factory equipment . . . only 3 cores at the most. Many times, in the same width tanks so they'd fit were 3 cores normally went.

I suspect the "flex fan" was an owner-added item. Ford started using factory flex fans in their 1964 Ford Fairlanes as an alternative to the more expensive fan clutches. First flex fan GM car I ran across was in the early 1970s. If the fan was fiberglass or stainless steel, it was most probably a Flex-A-Lite product, NOT from General Motors.

Coilover shocks, termed "Load Levelers", would not be factory equipment either. Most common on the rear of vehicles, which towed or hauled trailers, although some people found some "add-on" versions and put them on the front, too, for extra ground clearance or a higher ride height.

Only spark plugs GM used back then were AC-Delco spark plugs. NO place on the factory order form for "spark plugs".

Water pumps were "only one", from the factory. Installed at the engine plant when the engine was built and tested. "High flow" water pumps are available in the aftermarket from several suppliers. Many use different impellers for more flow, plus larger passages in the basic pump housing (depending upon the engine and design thereof). ONLY thing might have been that some manufacturers used different pumps for a/c cars and non-a/c cars, or "trailer-tow package" vehicles. Again, NO place to order different water pumps on the vehicle order form.

The other stuff listed was factory available . . . 400 V-8, Turbo 400 trans, wheels, factory AC-Harrison a/c, power seats-windows-door locks. Granted, it was a highly-optioned car that was probably special-ordered from the factory to get it with that many options. In that respect, it was more "special" than a normal less-optioned (and probably more readily available on dealership lots) than other similar SportWagons.

Only way to prove the GS orientation would be the factory build sheet for the vehicle. As mentioned, sometimes some things "happened" and unusual vehicles left the factory. Might have been a show car or built for a particular Buick exec as his "demo". This is where a copy of the build sheet would be key in the car's history.

Be aware, too, that stickers and emblems could have been procured from the dealer's parts dept and applied by the owner . . . OR as a part of the sale, back when they were available from GM parts. Again, the sales documents from the dealership would document this, too. Adding ornamentation and such from similar performance models was somewhat common, back then.

IF the car was a factory Stage 1 car, it would have had a much different rear axle ratio than a normal SportWagon or similar Skylark would have had. Normal GS cars had a 3.64 rear axle ratio, as I recall, with the Stage 1 cars getting something like 4.33 rear axle ratios as a part of the Stage 1 package from the factory.

NOT to try to diminish your enthusiasm about the car, for it was a unique vehicle, as optioned from the factory AND with the added equipment (mentioned above), but it sounds to me like the good doctor towed trailers with it and felt the need to improve the vehicle (in his orientation) with the non-stock equipment. He obviously wanted a little more performance (spark plugs), better load capacity (load-leveler shocks, rather than air shocks), and better durability (water pump, radiator) for the uses he used the car for. The emblems and other things were "for show".

Now, in the fleet side of things, there were some special options available for order, but not "increased capacity" water pumps, load-leveler shocks, or special spark plugs. Typically, things like worm drive hose clamps, "all cars keyed alike" locks, additional chassis wiring for added equipment (law enforcement and such), and underhood heat shielding of various components. Plus some special paint colors which didn't appear in any other "consumer" paint list.

Regards,

NTX5467

6 Days Ago #6

my3buicks

The Stage 1 package was a dealer installed option at that point, not a factory installed option - so if it had the Stage 1 package it would have been dealer installed

Keith Bleakney

Hyundai Sonata Limited

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty,and some are dull.Some have weird names, and all are different colors. But they all have to live in the same box.

Last edited by my3buicks; 6 Days Ago at 14:43.

my3buicks

6 Days Ago #7

NTX5467

Sr Mbr -- BCA 20811

Would that have included the rear axle ratio, too? Or was that particular Stage 1 set-up a little milder, cam-wise, than the later ones? Which would better tolerate the standard rear axle ratio? Wasn't there a specific carb for that set-up, too?

This would be another area where having a dealership/repair shop repair order as documentation would be good to have.

Just curious . . .

NTX5467

6 Days Ago #8

my3buicks

I found these specs:

To those who wanted more, Buick offered a dealer-installed package that imbued the engine with a hotter cam, 11.0:1 compression, and stronger valve springs, and gave the transmission high-upshift modifications. Despite a 345-bhp rating, it added an estimated 50 bhp to the base 340-bhp mill and cut quarter-mile times by a second or more. The name of this rare dealer-installed option was a portent of great things to come from Buick. It was called the "Stage 1 Special Package."

I would certainly see no reason why a dealer would not have installed this package on a wagon with the 400 - that part certainly fits.

Keith Bleakney

Hyundai Sonata Limited

5 Days Ago #9

NTX5467

Sr Mbr -- BCA 20811

Thanks for that information, Keith.

NTX5467

NTX5467

View Public Profile

Send a private message to NTX5467

Send email to NTX5467

Find More Posts by NTX5467

Add NTX5467 to Your Contacts

5 Days Ago #10

tooyub

thank you everybody, I know it was originally used to tow ski boats. The owner sold it and bought a suburban. then we had it. my dad taght me to wrench on that car,so i can recall trips to west covina auto parts. when we replaced the water pump there was a issue with its hight, probably beause of the thicker radiator, so we had it rebuilt, and yes it was a turbo 400, I've never seen the wheels elsewhere, only wish I knew the gear ratio

5 Days Ago #11

my3buicks

These wheels were optional on the 67's & 8's - there was also a wheel that looked like the chrome wheels but were painted adn had a trim ring - from a distance they looked like the chrome wheels without the bling. I am not sure if the 2nd type wheel I described came out in 68 or 69 though, there seems to be conflicting data on that.

Attached Thumbnails

Keith Bleakney

Hyundai Sonata Limited

my3buicks

View Public Profile

Send a private message to my3buicks

Send email to my3buicks

Find More Posts by my3buicks

Add my3buicks to Your Contacts

View Gallery Uploads

5 Days Ago #12

tooyub

yes those are the wheels, but ours were black. check out the "dished" center cap and buick logo. always dad put red stripes. also there were no leaf springs, it had trailing arms and coil spring buckets on the axle, awsome smoked glass "vista cruiser" roof, am fm, simulated wood down the side, cream collor paint, biege or tan intr, more later gotta go

5 Days Ago #13

my3buicks

The wheels pictured on the Yellow GS were the wheels that came with the cars equipped with optional front disc brakes - this held true in 67, and I would assume in 68. After I posted they were optional I left the house and driving down the road I thought DAH they were the wheels that came with the optional front disc brakes.

They also came standard on the 67 GS340 painted red

So if the same hold true in 68 as 67 it looks like your old wagon had optional front disc brakes.

Keith Bleakney

Hyundai Sonata Limited

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)