Rubber Bumper Trim

Guest Harry S.

Guest Harry S.

On my '80 Riv., the rear bumper trim has come completely off the bolt heads at the R/H corner. What adhesive can I use to permanently re-attach? The bolt heads (2) appear to be clean.

The rear end of my car gets the morning sun year round, so I guess this is the cause of the separation?!

Will appreciate any comments.

Cheers :)

A round headed bolt was vulcanized to the rub strip and I don't think you can revulcanize them economically.

If the strip is still flexible and can be held in place easily without wanting to spring back out, you can probably get some kind of glue to get it to stick. The biggest problem is that with most adhesives, you need to put some pressure on them while the glue sets up.

I did talk to one guy one time who used 3M automotive double sided tape to stick his back on. He ran a body shop and was doing it for a customer so I imagine he has some faith in the tape.

I did one on the same corner of my '83XX one time, but I had the bumper off. I used Gorilla glue and a couple of C-clamps to hold it in place while it set up.

Ed

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Harry S.

We've had a couple warm days, so yesterday I tried the Gorilla glue on the trim. I had to improvise application of pressure but it adhered pretty good after about two hours of pressure.

Today it still looks fine. Will see if the bond holds up after some days in the morning sun.

Thanks Ed for the info. ;)

Harry.

Guest northmn

I have gone through this two years ago and mine still is holding tight . I found the best way to fix it is to clean everything including the bumper stud hole with acetone. Get yourself Loctite Black Max from an industrial hardware store. Smother the daylights out of the bottom part of the stud and all around . Be quite liberal with the stuff ( the more the better). Then push the stud and rubber strip in the hole and rig up something to keep tight pressure on the strip against the bumper . If you look in the back you should have so much glue applied it should ooz all around the hole. let it cure a few days. Only snug the nut up or you could pop the stud. The large amount of glue and the stud combined hold it in tight. This stuff glues to the metal too. It's not as strong as vulcanizing but holds pretty good and tight just the same.