Questions about '55 od transmission

Guest austinsailor

Guest austinsailor

I'm probably going to look at a 55 parts car with a standard overdrive transmission.

I'm pretty familiar with the Dodges, Plymouths and Dodge trucks, but have no idea about the the transmission in these. Is this transmission going to be the same basic one as in the other cars I mention? Are bolt patterns the same and interchangable like many years of Plymouth and Dodge?

The hemi is supposed to be unstuck, but whether or not it's usable is an open question. If the OD is good for other uses it might be worth getting and taking a risk on, but if it's Desoto only, not so much.

Any thoughts on this subject? Thanks for any pointers.

post-52471-143138781903_thumb.jpg

Guest Bob Call

Per Hollander Interchange the standard trans with overdive is common to 55 & 56 Chrysler, 53 & 54 6 cylinder Desoto, 52 thru 56 8 cylinder DeSoto, 53 thru 56 Dodge except Models D47 and D52 which are the short wheelbase 6 cylinder for 53 and 54. The overdrive unit can be fitted to other MOPAR trans with main drive gear swaps.

I didn't check the Hollander but the bellhousing, starter plate, flywheel and clutch should fit any first generation 52 thru 58 Hemisphere and Polysphere engine. So if someone wanted to switch from a fluid drive or powerflite they would need these parts plus the clutch pedal and linkage and all of the shift linkage. Maybe pulling the entire steering column would be as easy as trying to pull the shift mechanism.

The hemi engine stuck or not if complete can be worth $500 to $1,000. More if it runs. Fireflite (4 barrel carb) is slightly more valuable than the Fire Dome (2 barrel carb). 55 is 291 cubic inch short deck. Generator/powersteering pump is valuable if complete. 55 is 6V so starter will probable fit all DeSoto V8's 52 thru 55. Hot rodders use the late model Mopar V8 mini starter if they convert to 12V. 6V engines have 148 tooth starter ring on the flywheel and 12V have 172 tooth. New starter ring will convert this 6V flywheel to fit 12V starter. Plenty of rebuild and hot rod parts available for these engines.

If you have the space to store them I would advise getting the engine and trans together and then sell them to someone restoring a 52 - 55 DeSoto or wanting a hemi for a street rod or hot rod.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)