Steam biographer

Guest prs519

Can anyone recommend to me a good article or book about the trials and

tribulations of managing and operating a steam automobile, especially one

written back in the day, but after they had worked the bugs out? I would like to read something like, "crossing the Rockies in a Stanley Steamer" (a title I just now made up to express my drift). I do not recall ever seeing an article about a long distance steam tour, how they compared to IC powered vehicles, etc. Were people afeared (sic on myself) to drive them long distances?

Perry in Idaho

The Story of a Stanley Steamer by George Woodbury. Book written in 1952 about the purchase and restoration of a 1916 Stanley. He lived in New England, and was close enough to the Stanley works in distance and in time, that he had a mechanic work on the car who built them in the first place.

One story from the book. When he went to go and pick the car up he hired a truck with a burly driver and his assistant. When the car was loaded on the back of the truck, the driver chose to lol on the leather back seat of the Stanley, smoking a cigar, while his helper drove the truck. When they stopped for a stop sign in a small town a passerby yelled " Hey Mac, what kinda car is that?" the truck driver replied " Stanley Steamer - late model". Ha ha ha ha ha.

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Stanley-Steamer-George-Woodbury/dp/B004YTNC4Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top