1948 Chrysler New Yorker Convertible

Royal Maroon with optional Highlander plaid interior, tan canvas top. A handsome New Yorker that looks good going down the road and drives nicely.

The body is straight and rust-free, and I don't really see much filler or other red-flag issues, although the paint job is older and is starting to show its age. All the trim is intact and in very good condition, with an excellent grille, bright bumpers, and stainless that's straight and clean. Someone stuck a big, goofy spring-loaded antenna on the cowl, and I don't believe the spotlights are official Chrysler issue, but those are relatively minor issues.

The tartan interior is probably a love-it-or-hate-it thing, but you can count me among those who love it. The pattern is a pretty good approximation of the original, and the workmanship putting it together is professional. It appears that the carpets are original and they show their age, but a thorough clean up might pay dividends. The tan canvas power top works correctly, and while I'm not sure it's original, I kind of like the matching plaid top pads and bows. All the unique folding knobs and acrylic handles are intact, including the Fluid Drive shifter knob and cowl vent knob. All the gauges work, although the radio and clock do not. Dual heaters under the dash.

The 323 cubic inch flathead straight-8 runs well and doesn't need things like a 12V conversion or an electric fuel pump. My guess is that the engine is probably original and never apart, but it runs so well it's hard to say. It could use a deep detailing, but there's signs of regular maintenance and things like the ignition system and carburetor show signs of recent work. No odd noises, no smoke, and it fires without a lot of cranking. It idles well, but is a little cranky until its warmed up, then it runs smooth and powerful. The Fluid-Drive transmission works as it should, with crisp shifts and good clutch action, and the fluid coupling doesn't drag or slip. Braking is firm, steering is good, and it goes down the road with a nice swell of torque once you get it rolling. I know the wheels should have wide trim rings, which would really dress the car up in a big way, and they are available from a number of suppliers. The wide whitewall tires have a lot of life left in them, too.

If it had a wood body, it would be worth four times the asking price, and it's just as rare as the Full Classic Town and Country (we have one of those available, too, if anyone's interested). Instead, this is a handsome, very drivable postwar convertible that is completely usable as-is, and could be easily upgraded over time to add a lot of value.

$36,900 or best offer.

post-31138-143138761656_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14313876166_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138761663_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138761666_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138761669_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138761672_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138761675_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138761681_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138761684_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138761687_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood