Backing plates

RAREBIKE

I'm not sure when Lincoln went from mechanical brakes to hydraulic brakes. Ford did it in 1939. Theose backing plates would be different. I believe that 1939-1940 and 1942-1948 Lincoln backing plates are identical. The fronts have an indentation, the rears do not. This makes Lincoln rear backing plates a direct replacement to convert early Fords from the Lockheed hydraulic brakes to Bendix- rear only.

1941 Lincoln front backing plates have NO offset. This makes 1941 Lincoln front backing plates a rare and expensive easy conversion for Fords to Bendix brakes.

I believe that some street rodder supplier is reproducing these backing plates for this very reason.

Ford went hydraulic in 1939.

My first car was a $75 1938 Ford rumble seat convertible with mechanical brakes which were WAY out of adjustment! The right front brake worked best. Convenient if you wanted to make an immediate HARD right turn! Tough to keep a straight line and stop at the same time.

Did Lincoln go hydraulic in mid-1938 when they changed the bolt circle to the standard Ford 5 1/2 inch bolt circle?