Wood Steering Wheel Restoration

Guest Rob J

Did a search, but didn't yield much info.

How have you guys restored your wood steering wheels? Is their anyone providing this service?

I've got two wheels that are reasonably nice for their age, but I'd like to restore, or have restored.

Guest REX STALLION

So,what is it that you want to restore? Missing parts,worn finish? a picture would help and I`m pretty sure I can walk you through doing the resto yourself.

I'm not at home now, so I can't get any pics up. But they have light hairline cracks in them, and I want to redo the wood finish to make them look fresh, and not worn. The metal is in nice shape, and just needs to be polished, that part I know what to do.

Take a really good look at the "wood" on your wheel. I've looked at a couple of wheels where the "wood" was cracked, split, or separated from the steel part of the wheel, but nothing ever cracked or split with the grain. Without taking a tool to it and carving into it, in a lot if instances the "wood" appears to be a cast molding of some kind that's finished to look like wood. ????? I'm not going to carve mine up just to satisfy my curiosity, but I'm betting that some one will know for sure if it's real wood or imitation wood.

Ed