wheel flange, drum and felloe colors in a 27

Guest pat in SC

Guest pat in SC

Since I am re doing the brakes, I decided it was a god time to paint the wheels hubs the correct original color. The Details and Specifications booklet that came with the car, a 1927 Model 54 Roadster, states that the hubs, felloes, and brake drums were all Courier Brown, to match the top body color, with natural wood spokes. The copy of the company service bulletins states the flanges were Courier brown, and makes no mention of the felloes or drums, while it does mention them on other models. Original color ads and company color prints of the car depict black felloes and drums, with courier brown flanges. Does anyone know what the correct color scheme was?

Guest pat in SC
It's just my opinion, but I think the drums should be black like the rest of the running gear. Be sure to use high temperature rate paint too. The fellows and spokes were the same color on my cars.

Yes, the service bulletin I read did say that with colored spokes, the felloes, rims ( and drums) were the same color. But on the Model 54 roadsters, the spokes were/are natural wood, which leaves lots of room for speculation. I suppose one could consider that the Courier brown used on the hub was similar to natural wood, and thus the drums and felloes would also be brown. Oddly though, this particular bulletin, which goes into great detail regarding the pin stripe on the spokes and the colors of the entire assembly on painted spoke wheels, does not mention the felloes or drums with wood spokes. I suppose I could just paint it the way I like it, which is with black drums and felloes, but as long as I am doing it, I would prefer to have them as they were originally, if anyone knows. The problem is, from what I have read, wheel coloration and details changed almost every year. With so few 27-54's left, who knows if any are original anymore? I fear the odds of no one knowing are pretty high.