Gasoline tank access door

Roadster90

I was empty on fuel tonight, and went to a station and had a little difficulty getting the filler neck door to open - had to push or activate the filler neck door push switch in the glove box 4 + times for it to open.....after fueling I attempted to close the door - It would not lock closed. Later in the evening I went behind the carpet by the brake computer and fiddled with the emergency pull thingie for the door and I was then able to close the door.....please advise me as to what shoud I do as in lube or adjust what please?????

Thanks,

Nic

Guest Mc_Reatta

I'd start with some spray lube on the release pawl on the right side of the fuel door opening on the car body until it is working freely again.

The catch on the filler door can be moved back and forth if needed to get it to catch or release better, but I doubt that is your problem.

What MC said. Look closely at the catch (on side of fuel filler pocket), it is held in place with two torx screws. They got loose on my 88, and the catch would get pushed inward causing the door not to latch when closed. Adjusted it back out to where it would catch the door, and tightened the screws up. Has been fine since. Based on your particular symptom, it sounds more like the solenoid or the attached plunger may be sticky.

KDirk

Guest 89 Maui

I had the same problem of the door not "locking". I adjusted the latch - no difference - then deadjusting with no difference, I reached under the trunk lid to operate the manual release and found the carpeting holding the manual release. I adjusted the carpeting back to where it should have been held and the carpeting was now clear of the manual latch, majically the gas door cover started latching correctly. Solved without WD40.

89 MAUI