coil hookup with + ground

Guest tad27

Guest neemot

I have a1927 Studebaker with a 6 volt positive ground configuration. I need to know if the power from the ignition switch goes to the neg side of the coil and the positive side goes to the distributor or does it make any difference?

Guest stude8

I thought in a previous response about this car I posted the factory wiring diagram but will add it here again.

If the ground of the vehicle is POS + then all other circuits are NEG - so the spark coil power runs from BATT NEG POST to STARTER SWITCH then to AMMETER LINE NEG INPUT through AMMETER TO LOAD TERM where the IGNITION SWITCH LOCK INPUT connects, then through IGNITION SWITCH LOCK direct to SPARK COIL NEG terminal post. Spark coil POS terminal connects to engine ground.

This path is clearly shown in Illustration No. 10 - Car wiring diagram.

Some spark coils will function with polarity connections reversed but some have internal coil winding variations that will cause a significant reduction in high voltage spark output so it is best to observe the coil polarity post marks and use POS for ground and NEG for "Hot" connection.

Stude8

post-31139-143138628866_thumb.jpg

Guest neemot

Thank you stud8 - you did send me that wiring diagram in a previous inquiry. There is a reason they call those attachments "thumbnails". If I were a computer geek, I could probably figure out how to make it large enough to be read. When opened, it is the size of a minie post card, still not ledgable. Anyway, thanks for the verbal discription, at least I can still read text.:rolleyes:

Guest stude8

The tricks to enlarge and save a small insert image are not too difficult.

When in AACA site left click on the image insert and it will reopen it in a larger size better to read online but then you can right click on that enlarged image and "Save as" to your computer (I have a download folder just to stuff this stuff into).

Then you can open the image on your work station, along the top of the page above the screen area is a tool bar with the tab called "Page" left click on that and a menu will drop down with a tab called "ZOOM +" left click on that and select from the choices like "+200%" that will blow the page up 200 % which will push some of it off the screen but when you aline the image to just show the "Postcard size" part you want, then press the button to the right of "F12" called "Print Screen" and it will capture the enlarged image you want to print out. You can print it out in that size or even paste it onto a Microsoft Windows Word page and save it.

You don't need to be a "Geek", just ask your grade school grand daughter how to do it like I did.

Stude8