56 special

Guest mrgil200

Guest mrgil200

coil reistor on the cowl can it be by passed ? can i run it till i get a new one? any input would be apprecated thanks gil

It will work OK but will cause the coil to heat up after a while. The resistor cuts the juice when the engine is running, allows a full volt jolt for hotter spark when starting.

I wouldn't worry about driving for 10 or 15 minutes at a time. In fact, you may be able to eliminate the resistor and get away with it for years.

Newer GM cars and trucks use a resistor wire. You can get one at any parts store for a couple of $$ bucks and connect it in place of the resistor.

Guest rsd9699

When I first got my 56 Caddy sedan - the resistor was bypassed. Then the engine died with the points closed. I got distracted with something under dash and then a tap tap on the glass. The neighbor saw smoke coming from under the hood. The coil had busted and sprayed oil everywhere.

The coils get pistol hot quickly I found out.

Ron

Agreed. Never saw a coil blow up but have seen them get hot and stop working after a 1/2 hour.

This should not stop you from starting the car for a few minutes to move it around. If you want to drive more than 10 or 15 minutes, pick up a resistor wire for a couple of $$$ bucks at any parts store (look in the Help section). Connect it in place of the resistor and you are good to go. When the correct resistor arrives you can put it in. But in the meantime there is no risk of burning points or overheating the coil.