'79 Riviera, Fuel system help please (possible vapor lock)

Guest Jeromy

Guest Jeromy

Hi everyone, im in a bit of a pickle. i have a 1979 buick riviera with the 350 v8. Summarizing, my situation i believe in my opinion seems to be a vapor lock somewhere. I seem to be able to drive 5-10 miles before i did anything and i would die out and be stranded for a bit, and maybe even 15-25 miles after i wrapped the steel fuel line from the pump to the carb with rubber/alluminium and clothes pins I have stock everything except a newly put in mechanical fuel pump and filter because i thought there was a clog in the pump or a cease of some sort. I messed around fixing my blinkers fuse in the internal fuse box and ever since this has happened, im not sure if relevant yet, i have only heard so far that older cars like these are mostly mechanical; fuel system wise. As you can probably tell, i'm not very mechanically incline, better said auto-illiterit, i would greatly, and i emphasise GREATLY appreciate feedback on this.

My symptoms include:

-idle and sputter (like out of gas/running out of gas) at full running engine temp

-will not start for up to several hours after car dies out from the problem (but will always turn over if i put some gas in carb directly (not staying on though).

-No gas comes out the carberator, just fumes when the supposed "vapor lock" occurs.

Also i heard an electric pump at the tank or near would help, but am VERY srapped on cash and don't know exactly the mechanics of working under a 2 and a half ton cars fuel tank. Thank you again very much!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Could be a fuel line sucking air, a clogged filter in the tank or a sticking needle and seat in the carb. Dont think it`s vapor lock as it doesn`t sound like you are getting the car hot enough. If safely possible, set up a 2 gallon fuel can and run it straight to the fuel pump using a fresh line. This will eliminate the tank filter and lines all the way to the fuel pump. Good luck,

Tom Mooney