63 a/c suggestions needed

Guest u571

Howdy Riv friends,I could use some advice-a little background first; I recently redid most of my ac system including compressor,condensor,discharge hoses,drier and replaced that modulator? that mounts to the firewall and stv bypass.As of yesterday I replaced all the vacuum hoses except for the two that run into the firewall.I enlarged the factory diagram of all the hoses so that I could actually decipher them and used colored pencils to track them(I also made a jig to draw the colored stripes on the hoses with paint pens,nice and straight like the originals)I believe I have all the hoses hooked up correctly but my problem has not changed,which is that Im not getting vacuum at the modulator to open the vent flap so that air comes out of the dash.If I use a wood block to push the arm in and actuate the diaphram,I get air flow.(an roa member suggested this)

Question-If the two remaining original hoses arent leaking(assuming) where else should I be looking.

please ask any questions in case I have not been clear.

Mark:confused:

To test a vacuum diaphragm, attach a vacuum hose to the port and use a small hand-held vacuum pump to try to pull the actuator back. If you have a 2-port actuator, the port that is off-center should pull the actuator back about 1/2 way. Vacuum applied to BOTH ports should pull it back all the way. If you apply vacuum to only the center port, you will seem to be getting a vacuum leak. You need vacuum also applied to the outer port.

Make sure all of the little vacuum "switches" inside the control box on the inner fender are adjusted correctly (per instructions in shop manual).

Work your way through the system, starting at the intake manifold. Hook the hand pump up to the system there. Plug the 2 vacuum lines to the actuators down under that fan (temporarily). Move the AIR knob one position. Vacuum should appear at both ports on the actuator on the plenum when you draw a vacuum. If not, trace it back to figure

out why.

If the little vacuum switches leak, I have found a quick shot of silicon spray in them helps them seal better.

Edited by Jim_Cannon (see edit history)