Hershey Fall 2002 Fleas Market

I joined AACA two years ago with the desire to finally get two flea market spaces for the Hershey show. Of course, the construction of the new arena threw a monkey wrench at that idea. My question is simple: Will new spaces be allotted this year, or is the field still "frozen". Thanks.

Each year there are many vacant spaces at Hershey. They are sometimes used for parking places mad.gif" border="0 . Some vendors have conflicts frown.gif" border="0 and can't be there BUT in order to keep their SPOT, they reserved the space anyhow frown.gif" border="0 <P>Now wouldn't it be nice grin.gif" border="0 if they would let someone like "Greenie" use their space (sub-lease or loan)for that year?<P>We all walk miles during THE EVENT and open vendors in ALL the spaces would be a dream cool.gif" border="0

Pat is right. For the past 2 years I have missed Hershey, but bought and paid for my spaces so that I would have them for this year and in the furure.<P>In my case, the spaces were not empty because I told my friends who have spaces next to mine to spread out into mine. But they probably didn't really use both of the spaces.<P>Now why couldn't I let the Hershey Region award my spaces to another AACA member for one year only with no right to them in the future. The right to those spaces would remain mine. The Region could sell my spaces to someone for one year and then pass on a <B>PART</B> of the money to me. Note, I said part, not all. I would have been happy to split it 50/50 with the Hershey Region rather than lose it all.<P>There could be a specific time period where people could turn in their spaces for that one year only and the Region would be the broker. That way everybody wins. I get part of my money back, the Region makes money [more than enough to cover the cost of the paperwork], and someone gets spaces for at least one year.<P>NOW, if in the future there are going to be more spaces available than requests for spaces, you can forget the whole thing. ~ hvs

Let's keep it simple. Hershey Region doesn't need to get involved. Heaven knows the AACA Hershey Meet is a BIG job already, they don't need anything additional and besides there is less chance for error.<P>Here's how it would work: You reserve your space(s) as usual. You place an ad on the AACA Hershey Flea Market (AACA/HFM) website(this site hasn't been developed YET) that you have space(s) #??? available. <P>Greenie responds that he wants to use them THIS year. Greenie sends you a check, money order, etc. for the proper amount ($55.00 per space for 2002) along with a copy of his AACA membership card.<P>When you receive your field pass(es) and other info, you send it to Greenie if his check has cleared the bank. cool.gif" border="0

Pat ~ There ain't no way in hell that the Hershey Region should or is going to let any control of the flea market spaces get out of their hands. And why should they. This is their meet and they have every right to exercise complete control.<P>If there is to be an independent barter operation online, all control is lost. You might as well just forget the long standing rules about buying and selling spaces and just let people do whatever they want.<P>At least the way it is now, there is still some semblence of it being a hobby instead of an international auction.<P>But that's just my opinion. After this exchange, I believe I vote for NO CHANGE in the current procedure. Let the open spaces fall where they may. ~ hvs

Wake up and smell the roses!! Do you really think that individuals are not paying more than the set amount to "rent spaces"? from your "registered members". Yes, Hershey fall is an event, and there were a lot of empty spaces this last fall that many hobbiest would have liked to have use. Would bring in new members if a system could be arranged for the spaces to be used. My two cents worth

I am awake and have smelled the roses for years, Dan. <P>Of course spaces are bought and sold for hundreds of dollars. When it is discovered the "renter" is expelled and the seller loses his flea market privileges for the future. I know of an instance where a seller paid hundreds of dollars for someone's spaces and was caught on the first day. He was expelled for violating the written rules, and had the gall to protest that because he had paid so much money for the spaces he should be allowed to stay. <P>There will always be people of questionable integrity who will sell their spaces to the highest bidder. There is no way to completely stop this trade. But because the owner of the spaces has signed a contract not to sell the spaces, he is clearly in violation of the rules set forth in that written contract. Therefore, expulsion is a fair punishment for both the buyer and seller.<P>I am all for a secondary market among AACA members, but it should be operated and controlled by the host group. I don't care whether you like it or not, this <B>IS</B> the Hershey Fall Meet and that means that Hershey Region makes and enforces the rules as established under the guidelines from AACA.<P>But then that is just my rather strong opinion on this subject. ~ hvs

Everyone would benefit from a secondary market for AACA members to share their space ownership with other AACA members. The new member that needs space and has been locked out for two years now has a way to enjoy the event. The existing owners that chose not to attend that year have a means to recoup their investment. And most importantly would it not be a pleasure to walk the flea market loaded with vendor tables instead of bare blacktop/grass or a 10 space parking lot.<P>The Hershey region should address this issue especially since they have frozen new space assignments since 2000.

To many people these spots are treasures as much as a close familiy member( could be a wife). However, If there was a system where a member could turn in the parking permit after having paid for the space, then there are vendors that would pay an additonal fee, to the AACA, for use of the spot for just that year. Would bring in new members, and prevent the 10 car parking lot.