Classic Car Thefts Growing Problem in California

Rivieraman

Hey everyone ran across these links on the Cadillac forum.

There is a 73 boat tail on the list

I know There are a lot of Riviera folks over seas maybe they can help be on the look out. I am just shocked i would be in prison for murder if someone stole my car

WSATI Stolen Classic Cars

Old Cars Weekly - California Classic Car Thefts

I seen the 73 on the ROA website but had no idea on the rest.

Amen to the "i would be in prison for murder"statement. I was shocked and saddened to read about all the stolen classics(someone would steal a vw thing? really??)Living close to the border I think about that,but more in the context of say hondas or ford trucks.Several years ago I owned a nice 4wd ford pick up and I kid you not,I had several dreams(nightmares)that I woke up to find my truck gone!

Now that I have a few classic,nice cars I am taking measures to keep them protected on my property.I remember when walking my dog seeing a 63 split window vette,56 belair and a 63 mustang fastback all sitting in open carports for all the world to see and thinking how heart broken I would be if I woke to find one of those gems missing.

Mark

Guys,

An article in the St Paul Minnesota paper earlier this week sounded even worse. Apparently, Minnesota has a statute that says a salvage yard doesn't need a title from the owner to scrap a car after a certain age.

A guy had just spent $4000 to have the engine and trans overhauled in his 68 Volvo whan someone stole it and brought it to a scrap dealer and sold it for the weight of the metal! The theives got maybe a couple hundred bucks, car got squished and the owner was out the car! Sounds like he might not have had it insured! "Let's be careful out there!"

Tim