61 Buick Special My First Restore Project

Guest pothookit

Guest pothookit

One like this was my first car, bought new by my father. I found this one for 400, hope i did not get took. I want to restore it(80-90%). The ometer says 71179. I think it maybe correct. Motor has oil(1/2 qt low) auto Trans has fuild. Has setup in the elements for yrs. Where should I start? I want to spend about 5-8K I will do most of the work myself. Thanks in advance.

Pat,

Well, I guess my first suggestion would be obvious, but I would put it up on stands, remove the tires/wheels, and then clean, clean, clean. You need to see what you have and doing a deep cleaning inside and out will do that.

With the wheels off and the car up in the air a bit you can crawl all over it and inspect everything. Once everything is clean and you see what you have I would do the following.

Drain the gas tank, change the oil, change all the filters, put in a new battery and she if she will start. I you get her running then you can see if she will go into gear. I would then pull all the brake drums and inspect and/or replace the wheel cylinders and check all the lines. I would then put back on the wheels and see if she will get down the road.

Enjoy the journey. Keep us posted.

• 1 month later...
Guest pothookit

:)Update:

Car just back from sand blast and prime. Tranny is ready at shop, pick up next week. The motor is also ready a shop, sure is pretty silver, pics soon.