1951 Olds Hydra-Matic trouble

Guest KCOlds

Guest KCOlds

Hi, new to this forum. I do apologize if this is redundant. Just posted this in the AAC general technical forum.

I'm getting ready to tear down / partially disassemble my hydramatic and am in search of any other thoughts on my issue before I do. This started last fall and I have yet to resolve it. I posted this in the classic olds forum last fall and received some much appreciated feedback. Just looking for any other hydramatic tips or suggestions before I disassemble this thing.

1951 Olds hydramatic: driven out of drive way down the street and back first time in years. ( 10+ ?) Shifted late and hard. (nothing new) Pulled back into drive to drop the pan drain torus and clean screen, clean valve body... before I do I back up once and it sticks in reverse and will not let go.

Reverse only... forward gears engage but will not move forward, bogs down as if under load (resisting reverse cone clutch is my guess) In neutral reving up, car inches forward a bit. No pushing the car forward in neutral unless cranking or idling.

I've since drained pan, torus and cleaned screen, valve body (several times) checked linkage, checked the movement of the servos with air... I'm about to pull the tail shaft to remove the reverse clutch assembly. Any other thoughts?

Much appreciated.

Guest rsd9699

Drain it. Put in some fresh whale oil and drive at slow speeds to free things up. While you are out and about - take to a pro and pay him for a good check out.

Ron

Guest KCOlds

Thanks for the input. Got it figured out. Throttle rod out of adjustment. Drive is back in business. It's got fresh fluid. I'll change it again after driving / adjusting it more.

thnks

Guest rsd9699

Some of the older ricers used whale oil - I read that some where and is still available. That is what the early hydro's used - it was clear but at some point in time they dyed it red to help locate leaks in the PS and tranny's.

Ron

Guest pete324rock
Thanks for the input. Got it figured out. Throttle rod out of adjustment. Drive is back in business. It's got fresh fluid. I'll change it again after driving / adjusting it more.

thnks

As I've mentioned before about these trannys....rod adjustments are critical and I suspect much money has been spent rebuilding still decent units. Any slop must be addressed first.