70 Riviera A/C

Guest fenwick

Guest fenwick

I recently replaced the A/C compressor on my car, and I don't think that it is cooling the car enough. I park the car in my garage that is air conditioned by my home units. With I start the car up, the vent temperature goes down to about 50 degrees, but it climbs back up to 60 after it has been on the road for a while. I checked the suction and discharge pressures and they were 40 and 250 psi,which seems ok for the Freeze12 refrigerant that I am using. There is alot of air coming out the vents, and it is about 60 after the car has run for a while, and won't come down much more when the outside temperature is 90 - 95 degrees.

I recently purchased the car, and it has not been run since 93. The original compressor ran when I got the car, but froze up on the long trip home after buying it. The car doesn't have the automatic A/C option. I am wondering if there can be something wrong with the control system that is causing my problem. I did check the outside air door, and it operates good. I am thinking about reducing the heat load on the car by having the side windows tinted. Any input on the problem will be appreciated.

Fen Binder

Edited by fenwick (see edit history)

A properly charged functioning system with R-12 should be getting down to 42 degrees.

Did you check the sight glass? Is there bubbles or is it clear? If there is bubbles, that is an idication that the system is not fully charged or has moisture in the system. While I'm not familiar with your Freeze 12 refrigerant, you did not state who put this in. Was it a A/C certified technician or did you put it in?

You indicated having a outside temperature of 90+ degrees. If the relative humidity is low @90, the evap pressure at the POA valve should be 35 and at the compressor head 205. If the humidity is high, then the POA reading should be 35 and the compresser head 240. The POA valve could be bad as well as the Expansion valve and or receiver/dryer.

Again, you did not state who worked on the system. But unless you are a certified A/C technician and have all the necessary equipment, bite the bullet and take it to the experts. Just make sure you find a shop that knows how to still work on the R-12 systems. There is nothing better than a good working R-12 system.

Bob Bonto # 277 ROA

Technical Advisor 71-73