Error Codes

Guest jcc3inc

Guest jcc3inc

Good evening,

Last fall I sold my '91 Reatta and purchased a low mileage '93 Riviera. I know that you guys on this site are very knowledgeable and helpful so I'd appreciate your comments on the following. The powertrain seems very similar to my '91.

My '93 Riv has an error code I cannot find in the factory shop manual. The Check Engine light comes on and I get codes E044C, E044H. While I can find the diagnoses for the B446H, B552H codes in the manual, I can't find the E diagnosis. Am I looking in the wrong place, or does someone have the needed information? It now seems to want to stall after I let off the accellerator.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

JCC<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Code E044 is a lean exhaust signal. "H" after it would mean history, "C" means current I think.

I believe you're looking at the BCM index. I don't have my manual in front of me right now, but try looking in the index in the back of the manual for ECM (Engine Control Module) code index. It can also be found here:

ECM Diagnostic Codes*-*ReattaOwner.com

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

E044 is the code for too lean an output of the O2 sensor.

In 91, they changed the name of the old ECM computer section of the manual to PCM since it then expanded from just controlling the engine to also performing some transmission functions so it became the Powertrain Control Module.

For some other unknown reason they moved the PCM codes and their explanations and troubleshooting information from the Computer System Diagnosis chapters to the chapters labeled Drivrability and Emissions.