fuel pump relay?

Guest tuckerx4

Guest tuckerx4

where is the fuel pump relay on a 89 riviera? i removed the panel on passenger side console and didn't see it there. checked under hood and those weren't it either. the owners manual says it's in the console but the ones there were for everything but. I think my fuel pump might be going out but wanted to eliminate the relay first. The car has been shifting kinda funny and you don't always hear the pump prime when keyed. But after a couple of tries it will finally start. what do you guys think? Fuel pump bad? I tested the pressure and the first couple of times got nothing then suddenly 40psi.

Thanks for any help.

For the "baby" Rivs you might get better results over on the Reatta site. Nothing against the Riv guys we just have more questions and of course more answers.

The fuel pump relay is on the fire wall. Next to the brake relay. If you have the Teves system which is/was an option on your Riv. you will have 3 relays. What I would do is just swap them, [they both are the same] and if your problem goes away, go buy two relays and replace them both. They are cheap at about $6.00 each and in my opinion you are starting at exactly the right place especially if your problem is intermittant. BTW you should have a green wire with a purple plug on it. [Hanging near the brake master cylinder] That is the test lead to check if the fuel pump works.

BTW there is a wealth of info at one of the forum members website. It is Reatta Owners Journal - Home

It is all about Reattas, but much of what is there converts to Rivs. Good luck...

Guest tuckerx4

Thank you so much DAVES89. I have been driving myself nuts looking for that. owners manual didn't mention that area. I will check that out and post my results. and again THANK YOU!