Teens/Twenties titles & registration

Guest mesaboogie223

Guest mesaboogie223

Hi, everyone - I'm building a teens/twenties Buick themed Lakes Modified racer, with a Special/Skylark aluminum 215 V8 & Dual Path, Buick wheels & caps, insignia etc. I'd like to utilize a Buick frame from that era and am curious regarding the registration and titling of cars at the time. I am by no means trying to fool anyone, as I'm sure most readers know this was a very interesting facet of early auto racing that morphed into Formula One, Talledaga and the salt flats, Land Speed Records and so on, esp. after WW II. Since the car will, once it's finished, be registered etc, I was curious about whether frame serial numbers were used, along with body numbers...but at what point, and what were the particulars & practice? Thx in advance, Barrie

Barrie,

Frame numbers and engine numbers were used differently in some states. Registration and title requirements are also different for different states.

Where I live, the state must have documented ownership transfers; or you may have to wait three years to get a clear title.

Guest mesaboogie223
Barrie,

Frame numbers and engine numbers were used differently in some states. Registration and title requirements are also different for different states.

Where I live, the state must have documented ownership transfers; or you may have to wait three years to get a clear title.

Thanks very much, Mark - I'm a native Victorian, 'tho I live in Alberta for now...I'm quite envious of your collection, wow!!! Don't happen to have a derelict '15 to '23 grill shell lying around do you?? In any event I suspect more or less the same requirements will hold in Canada, thus it would be sensible for me to obtain a frame with a title....best regards, Barrie

Barrie, best to contact your local DMV. Here in VA all vehicles, regardless of age, must have a valid VA title. However, if the car is coming from a state where there is no title requirement then the VA DMV will accept a bill of sale. For example, I bought a 63 Avanti from RI, which does not have a title requirement for cars over ten years old. So VA accepted an old 1974 registration form and a bill of sale. So each state has its own rules.

Guest mesaboogie223
Barrie, best to contact your local DMV. Here in VA all vehicles, regardless of age, must have a valid VA title. However, if the car is coming from a state where there is no title requirement then the VA DMV will accept a bill of sale. For example, I bought a 63 Avanti from RI, which does not have a title requirement for cars over ten years old. So VA accepted an old 1974 registration form and a bill of sale. So each state has its own rules.

Thank you, John, for your kind reply...you're quite right, but there was a "method to my madness". Here in Canada, we have similar requirements, but I felt I should begin at the beginning, that is to say I'm fairly certain any antique Buick frame (or more) I'm able to purchase would come from the states....etc etc.

This way I'll be able to approach the local authorities with a bit of foreknowledge about what I'd be presenting to them...best regards, Barrie Demaries

Guest mesaboogie223

Hi, Mark, and thank you for your further reply. I live in beautiful downtown Medicine Hat (rather like Victoria, believe it or not, and but for the -36 C from time to time) and so am only a couple of hours from Calgary. Nevertheless, I had my heart set on a '15 to '23 grill, whose shape is more compatible with the hood and cowl of my Lakes Modified, ie, very rounded, no metal folding or creases...if one examines them all with that in mind. I'm delighted with the response I've had from our membership, including yours, and it appears I'll have my long sought grill in a matter of days. Thank you again for your kind replies. By the by, my best friend in the whole world is an expat Canadian who's spent the last 20 years in Portland, and on whose porch we expect to be in mid-July or so....would love to oogle your cars and at the very least shake your hand on the way through. best regards, Barrie