1927 DB, Series 124 Rear Wheel Assembly

Guest M R Simpers

Guest M R Simpers

I am in the process of pulling down the rear right wheel assembly. The graphics in my “Mechanics Instruction Manual” are poor at best. I have pulled the wheel and removed the brake bands. I want to pull off the backing plate assembly (cast steel spider and sheet metal dust cover) as the sheet metal is bent and needs to be straightened, painted, seals replaced, etc.

First, I need direction on how to remove the “foot brake operating shaft” and the “hand brake operating shaft.” I think that both of these shafts float in the differential housing, and as such, would fall out of the differential housing once the rear wheel bearing housing is removed. Is this correct? There is a cotter pin at the spider that appears to retain the “hand brake operating shaft”. With the lever arms attached to these shafts, I can’t see how these shafts can be removed with the backing plate still in place. How can these be removed? No hacksaw jokes here....

Second, to remove the backing plate assembly and the rear wheel bearing will these pull off the axle once the “wheel bearing adjusting nut” is removed? Once this is done, will I be looking at the 2 piece pillow block attached to the leaf spring or does the rear axle housing extend through the pillow block? How is this backing plate removed?

Third, for what it's worth after doing the above, I plan to drop the leaf springs.

Photos attached…. maybe....

OK, let’s have some comments.

Thanks…….. M.R.

post-64343-143138552324_thumb.jpg

post-64343-143138552328_thumb.jpg

To pull the brake cross rods you will need to first remove the remove the brake levers which are pinned to the rods - note well where each came from and the direction they lean.

From memory, the backing plates are rivetted to the axle assembly and would best be straightened in situ.

The pillow blocks are in halves around the axle, held together by screws which cannot be accessed without removing the springs.