70's VIN Location

Does any one know an alternate location (if any) for a VIN (Vehicle Identicifcation Number) to be found on a 1970 Buick. My local Motor Vehicle Dep't. wants a pencil trace....impossible to do in the standard location, with windshield and dash cover.<P>Thanks in advance.

I think if you try you can get an imprint off the vin plate on the dash, the only other place you might find the vin is on the top of the frame which means the body has to be off. I know in NY before '73 there were and still are no titles, so I understand your problem. Here in Michigan, we have been able, not sure if this still works, but with the form and a local police person, to verify, they will take that as being official enough to get a title. Try using a crayon or one of those big pencils we used in kindergaten or grade school, I think you can get a tracing also try different paper, if not maybe talk to the local police people and see if they can help you verify the car. Hope that helps. Roberta, grew up in NY, moved to Michigan cause that's where the Buicks came/come from!

Just another thought, if worse comes to worse, you can pull the dash cover off, and it would make it a little easier to get the tracing, need a 3/8 wrench, but would need to know what model car you are working on, but they are all about the same, there's 3 or 4 studs on the dash pad, from the radio to the glove box, then pull the ends loose, they are studs in a crimp type connector, then pull the dash up and out of it's correct position, precaution, don't do this if it is under say 40 degrees, cause the dash will be cold, and may crack, not a good thing!