46 Plymouth Wheels

Guest oldbill

Guest oldbill

I have to go to GA and pickup my latest project, a 46 Plymouth Coupe with 4 flat tires. Does anyone know if they had 15 or 16" rims. I had a 42 that had 16" rims and 48 with 15" so I like to be prepared when I arrive? I know that they have an alignment pin on the drum and so not just any rim will fit.

Guest De Soto Frank

Bill,

According to most sources, Plymouths still left the factory with 16" wheels in 1946, possibly into 1947.

Who knows what you're actually going to find on the car... that "small" MoPar bolt pattern was the same from the mid 1930's into the early 1980's...

I once had a '47 Windsor that someone had slapped a wide 1970's MoPar wheel on it.... as for that pesky alignment pin, they just took a BFH and snapped it off. :eek::mad:

Can you have someone on the other end take a look at the car and tell you what size tires / wheels are on it ?

You could take two of each size ( 15" / 16" ), as long as you match sizes on the same axle, you should be okay.

Do you just need to get it onto a trailer, or are you flat-towing it ?

Edited by De Soto Frank (see edit history)

Guest oldbill

Thanks Frank, I guess I will look for a couple of 16" tires as I think they will be easier to come by than a 15" chrysler wheel with the hole for the alignment pin. All it has to do is roll up on the trailer... and roll off again.:)

Any old Ford or Chrysler or Studebaker or Toyota pickup wheel will do. Just drill a 5/16 hole for the pin.

Some temporary spares have the holes because they are drilled for 2 bolt patterns. Temporary spares are handy for moving cars around because they are low rolling resistance and you can often get them free.