GM Employee ordered vehicle question

Guest Jimpala70

Guest Jimpala70

Hi Guys,

Does anyone happen to know when a GM employee orders a vehicle,would that be stated(along with their last name)on the window sticker? Thanks,Jim

Guest Oldengineer

I was an employee of Delco Moraine, Division of General Motors, until 1978. I ordered 4 cars through the class A discount program, and, my name never appeared on the window stickers when they were delivered.

Regards:

Oldengineer

Guest Jimpala70
I was an employee of Delco Moraine, Division of General Motors, until 1978. I ordered 4 cars through the class A discount program, and, my name never appeared on the window stickers when they were delivered.

Regards:

Oldengineer

Thanks for the quick reply,Olden.

Reason I asked is I own a GM employee ordered/owned vehicle,but do not have the original window sticker.I do have the original dealer invoice,which does state on it that it is an employee ordered car,as well has his last name on it.

I am going to order a Triple A Ent repro window sticker and was curious about this. Thanks,Jim

GM employees were entitled to an employee discount on vehicles and parts. They would order a car through their local dealer and the order would be marked to be sure they got the discount.

The workers in the plant watched for these marked orders. An old GM employee told me he ordered a new full size Chev hardtop in 1964. His union steward told him to order it with V8 engine and no other options. The engine was the only thing they could not fake.

The car came down the line optioned to the hilt, with double floor pan, 2 paint jobs, double upholstery, double carpet and double sill plates. Extra sound deadening etc.

The weekend after the car was delivered the union steward came around with a couple of his buddies. They pried off the door panels and removed radios and other parts, and a set of tires from the trunk.

He said it was the best car he ever owned. Drove it 140,000 miles and it drove like a Cadillac. When he sold it he peeled off the top layer of upholster, carpet, and sill plates. The buyer said he couldn't believe how nice it was for having 40,000 miles on it lol.

I understand you can't get away with that kind of thing today.

If you could get a copy of the original build sheet it should have the info on it. Might still be in the car someplace.

Guest Oracle

The same thing happened with Vauxhall Motors: GM subsidiary workers such as in the local AC-Delco filter plant could get a discount. They went to the local dealers and placed a special order. In one case an employee ordered a 1981 two-door Vauxhal Cavalier in some horrible colour...a design very similar to the Chevrolet Cavalier of the period. Two-door cars were only ever sold in export markets and that car would have had a very low resale value.

That said the workers at the local Ford van factory can get a massive discount or used to be able to, on Ford cars. I think they went through a special ordering system outside the dealer network but delivery may have been to dealers.