1990 Riviera electrical problem

Guest edanielson

Guest edanielson

I have a 90 Riv with an electrical problem with the 3.8L engine. It will not start and seems to have spark on only 2 cylinders. I have replaced the coil pack, the ignition module, the crankshaft sensor, timing chain and gears and main computer and nothing has made any difference.

The old coil pack had melted when this problem started-I don't have any idea of why it overheated so badly to melt it.

Can anyone give me some idea(s) of what caused the orginal coil pack to overheat and also why I only have spark on 2 cylinders after replacing all of the above? Thanks.

I am wondering if you checked your fuel pressure. You could start with the fuel pump relay which is on the firewall [at least it is in my '89 Reatta]. Depending if you have ABS with the Teves brake system you will have more then one relay. Just rotate them to see if anything changes [no cost to test only your time].

I also think you have the square coils [Magnavox]. Many of us have switched over to the round coils [Delco] which delivers a better spark. If you go used, or new just ask for a coil pack out of a 1992 Pontiac Transport with the 3.8 motor. It should come with an Ignition Control Module [at least the used ones from a salvage yard do].

If you had the Magnavox unit it will warn you that it is going bad by oozing a substance. I would imagine that once that ooze has come out it might distort.