timing cover on a 401

Guest u571

Can anyone tell me if the timing cover on the '63 was painted silver or was it shiny aluminum as the one on my engine is.I have no way of telling if it is original but it is in great condition so I am suspiscious.Thanks

Mark:confused:

Everything on the engine was painted, except perhaps the exhaust manifolds. On my '63, which I got from the original owner, the engine and brackets were all painted silver. Some later models have black brackets on them. Here are a couple of pictures I found on Google Images that I think are good representative pictures of how the engine looked originally.

Google Image Result for http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/photogallery4/1963-buick-riviera/1963-buick-riviera-eng1.jpg

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/photogallery4/1963-buick-riviera/1963-buick-riviera-eng2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/photogallery4/1963-buick-riviera-eng2.cfm&usg=__8JWUvr-cKa1VOMju0Kb_iiVl4VU=&h=495&w=640&sz=96&hl=en&start=8&sig2=tzZ-CfnC-ziG2CSoLt1XOA&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=tljPhRB6iCvgjM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3D1963%2Bbuick%2Briviera%2B%2522engine%2522%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26as_st%3Dy%26tbm%3Disch&ei=G_exTb-jEujt0gHo1vkX

If you look through the archives, I think you can find other discussion on engine painting and detailing.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

As always thanks Ed.My early production has both silver and black brackets.Those pics are a nice resource.I am always a little leary when I see restored cars offered by dealers as to the accuracy so I dont take for granted everything is correct however beautiful.I am learning almost daily about our rivs.

I have seen the black painted ring on other first gen. riviera air cleaners which looks great but was not on mine(all wrinkle red)and wondered when that detail was introduced? If you,Jim,Pete or anyone else knows,Im curious...not losing sleep,just curious.

Good to know you got your brake m/c sorted...one reckless old geezer riviera driver to worry about!!!Ha Ha!

I've never seen a black ring on a '63 air cleaner. What you're seeing is the black rubber on the air filter. That rubber is visible between the breather and the lid. Originally AC made their filters using orange rubber and the orange ring wasn't as obvious agains the wrinkle red paint.

Ed

Well Jeez,dont I feel like a horses ass! My air cleaner has a wix orange filter and was in the trunk as the p.o put a k&n filter on an edelbrock carb.I just had the original carter rebuilt and will be putting everything...I hope...back to stock in a week or so. Well as I slink off to the parts store with my tail between my legs to get a black rubber air cleaner,I bid you good day sir!

Mqark:D

Hey,

If Wix makes a filter that has orange rubber on it, then you use the one in your trunk and I'm the one running off the the parts store to get an orange one (as they were on the car when it came from the factory.)

Chances are the reason the PO was using the K&N filter on the Edelbrock carb is because the Edlebrock carb (even though it's a knock off of the Carter AFB) has a larger opening at the neck and the original air cleaner won't fit the Edlebrock carb.

Ed

WIX DT-92 The visible rubber outer ring is actually bubble gum pink and like the air cleaner it was dirty so not at all visible until I cleaned it.The black rubber filter does stand out Ill grant you that.

You are right about the k&n/carb scenario.I think the original air cleaner with its metal decals really makes the engine bay stand out even if it is half the size of rhode island! The later rivs with the dual air cleaner intakes are also cool imo.

Mark

Mark,

I've gone and done it now. I've confused myself to the point that I'm not sure if black or orange is correct. After my last post, I looked at an OE dealer brochure I have for the '63 Riviera and the factory picture in the brochure shows a black rim on the rubber. DUH.

The brochure is printed on textures paper and is hard to scan, but here's a copy of it.

Ed

Ed, I think the dealer brochure would be the best reference source for restoration and the black rubber wouldnt surprise me that it was a concious design detail. The air cleaner cover plate or body could have been designed to hide the filter just as easily.thanks for your efforts.

Mark