Six Hours to Replace Oil Pan ?

YellowLark

There is a service station in my area whose manager is very experienced with older cars. He has many 60's and 70's cars as regular customers, and is highly knowledgeable and helpful with his advice to me.

However, I brought my '83 in this time to have the oil leaks fixed, and he just called and estimated SIX HOURS to replace the oil pan gasket. Says he got the rate from an old book on his shelf.

If I hadn't dealt with him before, I would assume that this estimate is bogus. But, he's previously been very fair with pricing.

Why is it so difficult to remove this car's oil pan?

Guest REX STALLION

Clearance issues probably. Removing an oil pan when the engine is out of the car is easy, on the car is a totally different issue. If in doubt, get another estimate.My guess is that he`s going by the flat rate book. It`s a bigger job than you think....sorry to say.

Guest wildcat465

I have no idea how to get the pan off of one of those without pulling the engine, if he will do it for 6 hours labor, pay him and be glad you didn't have to do it.

I just went out and stuck my head under my parts car. It's hard to even locate the oil pan without a lift. Looks like part of the transmission is under the oil pan?

OK - I'll just be happy that he knows what he's doing...and, that I'm not doing it.