1939 Dodge D11 - few new concerns

Guest 39DodgeD11

Guest 39DodgeD11

ok so ive spent some time around here in the past, and always had luck with my D11, however, this spring when i pulled i out of storage for the year, it came with an issue.

The issue im having is a NO second/third gear issue. Yesterday it would not go into 2nd gear for about the first 5 minutes of driving it. When i tried to put it in 2nd it would make an odd noise, not a grinding noise but more like im not sure how to even describe it, but it wasnt an actual grind. ANYWAY, i stopped the car, tried all gears, no matter if i pulled shift lever towards me ot kept it back towards front of car all i could find was R and 1st. EVENTUALLY i went from 1st and it got into 2nd and then finally 3rd. Drove it all the way home perfectly, shifting every gear as smooth as its ever shifted. This morning i pulled it into the driveway to wash it, got it washed and went to drive it, same deal again, Had 1st and Reverse, no 2nd or 3rd. Mind you this whole spring the shifter pulling towards me and back towards front of has has almost had a feeling like theres sometimes no resistance, as if theres maybe a linkage problem? It also only seems to happen when the car is cold, or until i possibly "un stick" the linkage for the 2-3 gear?

Anyway, this is def something i need to look into as it IS a drive-ability concern and i WANT to be able to drive the car and not worry about if itll go into 2nd or 3rd gear.

SO if anyone has experienced this or know where i should start looking PLEASE let me know.

I will try and get a video of this tomorrow w so you all can see and hear the problem im having.

Could be a dragging clutch not letting you shift gears properly or else something the matter with the shift linkage. Have you inspected underneath the car and under the hood to see if the shift linkage is OK?

Is this a column shift car? If so look under the hood at the bottom of the steering column. The levers sometimes get jammed up. If you watch the mechanism while someone slowly works the shifter you will soon figure out how it works. If it is jammed it will come free if you yank on the rod.

Guest Knucklebuster

I got an idea but it will only be feasible if its a floor shift trans. Will keep in mind and keep watching.

Guest elmo39

39 was the first year of column shift for chrysler , it consists of a inner tube inside the steering column , it was the fist and only year of this system, there is very little linkage to contend with , if it was working alright when it was put in storage , my guess is it would be that the inner tube has gummed up(for lack of a better word ). it is the same system as is in my 39 S6 DeSoto , and the 39 Chrysler , and the 39 Plymouth , although the plymouth did have a cheaper model with floor change.

Guest Knucklebuster

Is the top plate assy a single drop fork type or is it a triple bar slider like alot of the other ones? Im not familiar with all of the trannies from the 30's so I am studying up (well not right now I am typing):)

Very intersted in this one.

In column shifters I am familiar with there is a set of plates and linkages at the base of the steering column. The end of the gearshifter has a pin that lifts up to engage one lever, down to engage another. If you somehow engage both at once the shifter jams up. The solution is to grab the rod and move the linkage so only one pin is engaged.

This cures the problem temporarily but the same thing is apt to happen months, weeks, or days later. Because the real problem is worn parts.

In your case cleaning, oiling and adjusting may cure the problem then if you shift slowly and deliberately it won't occur again. At least that is what I do. If it gets real bad you have to replace worn parts or take the mechanism apart and rebuild it by rebushing worn holes, replacing worn pins and bolts and welding or brazing up worn parts and grinding them down to their original shape.