36 Door - Where did this piece go?

JoelsBuicks

This is for my 36 Sr. 80 project. In one of the pictures below I'm holding a thin flat metal piece measuring about 2.5" x 6". I have two of these and I'm certain that they nail to the door - somewhere. My pre-project pics did not show this because I had not torn away the rotten door panel material. Also, my old wood is packed away and nearly 600 miles away.

My best guess at this time is that they spanned across the triangular hole where the wing glass handle will be in the front doors. This would explain why there are two.

I just don't remember where these went and while it seems that something would fit into the hole, It could be for accessing for oiling, tightening, or adjusting.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Joel

post-55940-14313850194_thumb.jpg

post-55940-143138501953_thumb.jpg

post-55940-143138501967_thumb.jpg

Believe it goes over the window winder--I have my doors at home and will try and remember to look tonight. I have model 40 and not am restoring, putting it back together now. The windsheild wiper knob ontop of dash connects to wiper but I'm not sure how. Do you have that assembly and/or can you explain how it attaches. Thanks and I'll try and post photo tomorrow of my doors with the piece attached.

Rod

Thought I had doors back together but disassembled for some reason. Pictures of partially restored doors won't do you any good so attached a couple of doors when initially taken off car. Would appear from photos that the piece you have goes around the door handle and not window winder as I thought. See photos. Now mine is model 40 so I assume doors may be a bit smaller but there is nothing-no cover-on window winder.

If you could look at your windshield wiper and advise how knob connects I would appreciate it. Thanks

Rod

That's perfect! Actually, that is the wing glass crank and now I can even see how they are oriented. Now let me see if I can help you. The attached picture shows the wiper knob assembly. The end of this rod actually fits into an upward turned fork that is part of the wiper motor's control lever. Strictly speaking, it doesn't attach at all but instead is positioned in such a way that when you move it, it activates the lever because it is cradled or "captured" by the sides of the fork. Am I making any sense?

Thanks again for your help,

Joel

post-55940-143138502757_thumb.jpg

you are making sense and I have the piece you have photographed--I know exactly where it mounts but am not sure where/what portion of wiper motor it cradles or fits into. If not too much trouble could you advise where on motor the arm fits? I have the motor and if need be can post photo. Thanks for your help.

Rod

Rod, the wiper motor pic below is generic off the internet supposedly for 36 Buick - I'm not near mine. You'll see the on/off lever that has that up turned yoke or fork. The rod of the wiper knob is situated inside that yoke and when moved, shifts that lever from side to side, thereby switching the motor.

A pic of your motor might be helpful,

Joel

post-55940-143138503702_thumb.jpg