Bonnet Vent Supports

Hi,

I have a 1934 All Steel body and the bonnet sides have 4 vents in them.

When you open the bonnet there are 2 angle irons from the top to the bottom presumably to stop the sides from flexing.

A few questions in relation to these :

1/ Were these angle irons used to stop the flexing or to put tension into the bonnet sides to give them some sort of shape ?

2/ Were these angle irons only tack welded at the top and bottom or were they welded at various intervals to give the bonnet side more rigidity.

Hope you can help with this

I have gone thru this on 29/30 and found the supports to be very poorly designed, the bonnet ( or hood as we call it ) needed these for the reasons you mentioned above......1/ Were these angle irons used to stop the flexing or to put tension into the bonnet sides to give them some sort of shape ?......but they were tack welded at a couple of spots in center as well, strange thing is that the panels do not seem to have been crimped tightly before welded and if they were crimped tightly than it would pull the hood out of proportion so I wouldnt suggest this, in many places the braces are to be seen with gaps on some hoods and on other hoods I have seen they were tighter. Its almost as if the hoods were custom built for each cowl section.

As mentioned if you are considering reclamping these and burning in a few areas I would suggest against it until you can absalutely confirm with another 34 owner that it is supposed to be that way.

Hope this helps