starting 24 6 45

Guest tom pre

Guest tom pre

hi folks. this engine turned over & started some 10 months ago. i had starter generator rebuilt & ive re wired ignition. when i turn on the ignition switch the bendix gear will start turning slowly as it should, but as soon as i push down on the starter pedal she engages but only stops and gets stuck. i removed plugs to eliminate compression but to no avail. engine wont crank. any ideas will be appreciated. thanks

Tom, mine did the same thing. The linkages were not tight enough from the plunger to the starter. Have someone push down while you look at each rod and make sure they are tight. The only other thing is that the arm that moves the brush in the starter generator is not engaging due to an adjustment issue. It is all mechanical so I would check all the linkages to make sure they are correctly adjusted. Have faith, sounds like you are almost there.

Guest tom pre

hi john. one of my friends thought that i didnt have enough juice to the starter. so i got a new 6 volt battery and used them in tandum. i did watch your video. tommorow i'll recheck lingage, then be more assertive with starter pedal. thanks

Tom,

The moving gen brush may be to long, which would keep it from lifting before the starter brush contacts the arm. This causes the two elec mag fields to oppose.

The result is a starter that will not turn or turn very slowly, and with very high current draw. Check bat volt when you try to crank, it may be low , also check bat cables they need to be at least 00 ga.

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring