want to buy - '50 DeSoto parts

Guest Irv D

Guest Irv D

Looking to buy 1950 DeSsoto steering wheel - also front uppper grille chromed extensions (they wrap around front fenders). Parts must be in excellent cond. Wheel must be cream/marbelized color, no cracks, no chips, etc. No pitting on chrome extensions.

On 1/27 I posted - looking for plastic door handle/window crank escutcheons. I have found them, so no need for replies on that post.

Thanks.......Irv

• 3 months later...
Guest alperin1

Irv,

Not sure where you got with the steering wheel, I ran across a web page where the guys can recreate the marbling and clean up your steering wheel, l do not have the address, but if you want it I will try to find it for you.

I am working in a 1950 DeSoto Custom Club Coupe myself. It is going to be a long and expensive ride, but I am looking forward to it.

Darin

Guest Irv D

Darin - thanks for keeping me in mind. I rebuilt the steering wheel on my 50 DeSoto Custom 4 door with an marine epoxy type material . It came out rather good. It was a messy job, lot of sanding, etc. - then I painted it close to the original color, but it lacks the "marbling" of the original wheel. I then wrapped it with a wheel cover (laced type) - so it is very functional and looks good. That said, I would eventually like to have the wheel done professionally, in its original color & marbelized manner. right now, I am redoing the entire car - paint, upholster, wiring harness, etc. - so will have to put the wheel off for now. I would love to get the information on the place to have it done, however. So, if you can find it - would be much appreciated........thanks, Irv D

Guest alperin1

Irv,

Here is the web site that I saw:

Steering wheel re-builder

I think you will like what you see.

I am just out side of Philly, I went to Chrysler Nationals today at Carlisle. WOW, that was fun! Picked up a few parts for my DeSoto and I got a bunch of leads for NOS parts.

There is a show happening in august where I am told it is geared towards Vintage cars. You may want to go. It is in Macungie, PA on Rout 100. I do not know much more about it just yet.

Take care,

Darin

Edited by alperin1 (see edit history)

Guest Irv D

Darin - I am very near Glens Falls NY (about 45 miles due north of Albany). It is rather late now - got back from a cruise-in & picnic at the park with Elvis tribute artist Joe Ramsey. Will look at the website tommorrow. What is the DeSoto you have (year, model, etc.) - I would love to go to the Chrysler Nationals at Carlise. I will try to find out about the show you mentioned in Macungie Pa. If you get any more information - let me know. Especially when it will be. Thanks for your interest - and our common bond - not only in vintage cars - but DESOTOS !!............Irv

Hi guys,

The Macungie show had a pre-registration deadline of July 1st, 2011

Last year my friend drove 2 hours with his car and tried to register to get onto the show field that day. They would not allow it. I suppose they need to have numbers to set things up prior to the show. I would call first.

The show is called Das Awchst Fest and it is a really nice one. The best day to see all the cars is Sunday. There is a class for Woodies which interests me.

Even if you cannot get your car into the show it is worth the trip to go see the others anyway.

Joe

Guest alperin1

Thanks Joe,

If you have a look at the photos of my car you will see I am no where near wanting to enter it into a show, lol.

Photos

Now, for the show here is a link for the WEB site.

SHOW

Regards,

Darin