1930 Studebaker FE Exterior colors

Guest stumax

Guest stumax

Restoreing the Studebaker President FE back as close to orginal as I can. The exterior color looked like it could have been a faded maroon. The color charts I have found on line is a Blue, Montana Brown Deep, Montana Brown Light, and a Black. Can anyone help be out on the colors and color combinations.

Thanks

Guest jpatino

I'm not sure if this contains all the color combos available, but it's a good start. I've seen some color combinations on cars that are supposedly original but doesn't seem to be in the list.

Color Chip Selection

Guest stude8

I have the two attached files on 1929-30 Studebaker colors, I have some 1931 DuPont color code charts but not scanned yet. Color chart scan files are way to large to attach here anyway. From what I have noted at places like Hershey PA among literature sellers is that 1931 was the FIRST year outfits like Ditzler and DuPont [DuPont Bulletin #1 is dated Feb 28,1931, I have a copy] issued Studebaker specific color chart publications.

Stude8

post-31139-1431384734_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138473405_thumb.jpg

Guest stumax

Thanks for the info. I have a 1930 color sales brochure and it too has a maroon color studebaker in it as well, however, maroon is not on the list of color combonations. I really like marron, but I want the car to be right. My car before the paint was removed looked a real dark faded marron. Please let me Stude8 and other your thoughts on maroon.

Guest stude8

Some where I had a off brand paint supplier list that included a color called "Rubicelli Red" for 1930's and it was a dark Maroon shade infact the 1930 Studebaker magazine ads for the State Victoria and FE Brougham models showed them in a deep red / maroon shade with black fenders. I don't have them scanned at this time but will hunt down if I have any not framed that can be scannned.

I did scan the DuPont color bulletin #1 for 1931 Studebaker Presidents but its is all Blue brown and Green shades.

Stude8

post-31139-143138474674_thumb.jpg

post-31139-14313847469_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138474708_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138474714_thumb.jpg

I have the color information on all the FE/FH Presidents and the Rubicille (red) Maroon was a popular color for these cars. I have a friend in PA who has a nice original FH sedan he is restoring and it was originally painted that color. I believe he got a good color match from an unexposed area on the body and had the paint mixed. If you want to email me direct I will provide you with his contact information.

Guest stude8

I wanted to add here the color formula codes I located for Studebaker Maroon colors from a Ditzler "Ditz-Lac Intermix System" Studebaker color schedule some time ago.

For 1929 Commander cars Rubicelle Maroon was IM-1104

Also for 1929 Commander cars a color called Dark Wine had no code number.

For 1930 Erskine models Maloga Maroon was IM-839

For 1932 closed models Orriford Lake Maroon was IM-718

These were lacquer formula codes so modern tinting agents for enamel formulas may not exist.

Stude8

• 2 weeks later...
Guest studepeople

I have an Fe President that I did many years ago now. It had been repainted but not under the rear seat cushion . The paint specs for the car were painted there. Right side as I remember . They were terrible so changed the color.

• 2 weeks later...