Fuel sender unit

LennyDaVinci

Does anyone know the correct orientation of the fuel sender unit in a 1929 DA?

The long float arm can be pointed in any one of 6 directions depending on how its bolted to the top of the fuel tank. Should it point towards the front of the car, left or right when viewed form the rear of the car? Hope this makes sense without pictures!

I have always been under the impression that the float pointed toward the center of the tank. If it was pointed to the front or rear, there may be a larger fluctuation of the fuel indicator. Just my theory.

So, if I understand correctly ... the float points to the deepest part of the tank (usually forward of the sender unit) to maximise the amount of swing possible. Anywhere else might interfere with the movement of the arm?

That is my thinking, however Jason (1930) or someone else with a DA might want to verify that. I was mostly thinking about the forward/rearward sloshing of the fuel disturbing the up and down movement of the float which would make the reading more erratic.

John is correct and here are some pict. so that it is so clear. There are no baffles inside the tank so either way its going to slosh but as you can see from pict. there is no way you can mount it 90 degrees from what I have shown or 45 degrees clockwise because it would interfere with the tank. If you were to mount it 45 degrees to the right than the longer portion of the cork would also scrape the rear of the tank.

The tank in my car is unlike any other DA model but I believe that is only in conjunction with the fuel filler neck set-up, I think that your sending unit ( now that i think of it I have had spare tanks in the past ) is going to be in the same place.

post-48869-143138460869_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138460876_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)