Start up issue - Help

Guest StephC

Hello,

I've had this issue before with my 94 El Dorado. Forgive my lack of knowledge as far as the proper terms but here's what's happening. My car won't turn over. I wait a bit (about 5 minutes) and then it starts up. This happened a while back as well but then everything was fine. There's a single clicking sound when I try and start it and battery is new (radio plays, etc.). Now it won't start at all. Before I bring it to the mechanic, does anyone have an idea as to what this might be? Someone told me it might be my key or I might need a starter. Thanks in advance for any help, I appreciate it greatly.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Hello,

I've had this issue before with my 94 El Dorado. Forgive my lack of knowledge as far as the proper terms but here's what's happening. My car won't turn over. I wait a bit (about 5 minutes) and then it starts up. This happened a while back as well but then everything was fine. There's a single clicking sound when I try and start it and battery is new (radio plays, etc.). Now it won't start at all. Before I bring it to the mechanic, does anyone have an idea as to what this might be? Someone told me it might be my key or I might need a starter. Thanks in advance for any help, I appreciate it greatly.

Could be any of the following:

1. Bad battery ground cable or badly corroded battery positive cable, maybe both.

2. Bad starter solenoid

3. Bad starter (usually bearings, replacement or rebuild of starter required)

I'd check for stiffness of both battery cables from the battery connections back a few inches before assuming the worst. If the cables are stiff or inflexible, replace and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

Jim

Guest Trickstar
Hello,

Caddilacs of that year had a wierd thing going on with the fuel sender unit as well. You turn key, nothing.. you wait.. it starts.