Hemi interchange

Guest DougBen

Guest DougBen

Will a 276 Hemi from a 52 DeSoto fit in a 52 Imperial without modification? I have a chance to buy the Imperial for a very good price but it has no engine or trans. The seller will throw in the engine and trans from the DeSoto with the car. I realise it won't be correct, but if it gets the car on the road it will do until the correct driveline is found. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Will a 276 Hemi from a 52 DeSoto fit in a 52 Imperial without modification? I have a chance to buy the Imperial for a very good price but it has no engine or trans. The seller will throw in the engine and trans from the DeSoto with the car. I realise it won't be correct, but if it gets the car on the road it will do until the correct driveline is found. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

According to my Hollanders interchange it should work without a problem, however; there were notes that make me question whether you may need a flywheel from the Chrysler version of the engine. Strangely there is apparently 1960 version of the hemi used in Plymouths that is indicated to be a straight drop in ....... go figure.

Jim

Chrysler and DeSoto engines are completely different. The transmission is the same. At that time they had a choice of Fluid Drive (standard) or Fluid Torque Drive (optional). Either will fit.

I would be strongly tempted to install a later engine and trans such as a 360 or 400 V8 and Torqueflite, especially if the alternative was to butcher an otherwise restorable DeSoto.

Chrysler used basically the same 331 Hemi and Fluid Drive trans from 1951 to 1953 but good luck finding one. Parts cars turn up from time to time, and both the engine and trans are extremely rugged and long lived so if you do find one there is a good chance they are usable as is or at least rebuildable.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)