In need of break-in/start up advise for my nailhead.

Guest riomar000

Guest riomar000

I'm just a few short days from firing up my rebuilt 401 nailhead for my riv and have just a couple questions. First, I was wondering since the engine has been sitting for a couple months now if there is any priming or pre-lubing i should do before initial start up? Secondly, should I use any special oil for break in or will the stuff that'll be run in the engine for it's life suffice? Finally, what kind of break-in procedure should i follow or is 20 minutes at 2000-2400 good enough? I'm just looking to treat my engine as good as possible to ensure a long life. Muchas Gracias ROA.

Mario

I am sure the experts will chime in here. My novice advice is:

Pre-lubing can't hurt. I do not know that I would use any special oil for break-in. What I would do is hand crank the engine, if possible, enough to get the oil flowing before the engine is fired up.

In terms of break-in, what is critical is getting the rings to seat. That is accomplished by putting a load on the engine. In low gear put the pedal-to-metal to get up to 30 mph, than take your foot of the accelerator (lug the engine). Do this repeatedly.

Drive the car at different speeds for small (5 min.?) stretches of time for the first 100 miles. Never exceed 45 mph.

Change the oil after 500 miles.

This is "old school" theory. Am sure others will comment/critique.