I NEED A 16v tc motor running or not

Guest angertron3

Guest angertron3

i need a 16v maserati/chrysler motor for my lebaron gts that i am building up. i think it would be a fun and unique swap. i do not care what condition the motor is in. let me know if you have one for sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest MB91560

Hi I have a question, please do not take my questions or comments as a judgment just food for thought. I'm just trying to understand why you would not use the 16 valves Lotus designed Turbo cylinder head engine in your LeBaron GTS. From what I have seen on this forum and other Mopar forums there are plenty of those engines out there and the parts are away more reasonable and easier to find. And they have managed to build up this engine to a lot of horsepower.

I do have a 1989 complete TC car, the TC car that I have from what I can tell has not been altered or molested, everything seems to be original . I I have today installed a new and correct fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, distributor cap and rotor. And I have 2 correct engine control . The engine turned over well and tries to start , I have removed and checked to make sure the distributor is installed in the block correctly. I will be honest I am a little bit nervous about the amount of money it will take to restore this car. The body of this car has gone through an Oklahoma hailstorm and the sheet-metal . So far my experience which is very limited , that the parts are extremely hard or very expensive to find. I'm sure you know that there was only 500 of these cars built with this engine and they all came with a five-speed manual gearbox. I know the guys and gals in this form are shuttering from the ideas of a person cannibalizing this rare in beautiful car.

I may consider selling this TC to someone that would want to restore it back to original. But if no one is interested in undertaking this car. I may be willing to sell the motor and transmission and keep the body of the car for parts. My primary reason for considering to sell this car is that I do not have the money to do an adequate restoration of this car.

I also have a 1990 V-6 TC which I plan had it as a driver and put it in the rotation with my Mercedes. I now have five cars that I drive two to three days each on a rotation basis.

Let me know what you think, thanks Bob

Guest angertron3

@bob. I inderstand what you are saying. However, its mostly just for fun. I think it would be unique. Also i like that the maseratti 16v is 200 horse stock. I want to be able to drive the gts regularly and heavyily modded motors usually dont last very long.

@xtremepickup i live in oregon unless it can be shipped i most likely wont be able to get it. Do you like how it performs in your daytona? Just wondering how it feels

Guest angertron3

Guess ill just have to be optimistic. The only other option would be the turbo iii with the lotus top end. Just as hard to get though

I could put half dozen TIII motors together from scratch before finding enough parts to make a complete Masi 16v motor. Ask me how I know..

The TIII stuff really isn't nearly as rare as the 16v Masi TC. Just a lot more of them were ever made than the 16v TC is the most likely reason. Compared to a TII car I guess they are kinda rare. There are always a few TIII heads for sale and just about everything else comes up for sale pretty regularly or can be had in the aftermarket.

I wouldn't suggest actually piecing together a motor from scratch though. It always makes more sense to just buy a whole engine or drivetrain if you can, which will save a lot of time and money.

Guest angertron3

But didnt the tiii only comemin the spirit r/t wich they made a lot less of? Also, the maseratti head can go on the tii block wich i have. All i would need is the gasket kit that seems to be easy to get online. However i wpuld prefer to get an entire motor.

Well they only made 500 or so of the 16v powered TCs. On the other hand, thousands of Spirit R/Ts were made, and then there was the Daytona IROC R/T which also came with the TIII, and don't forget the Phantom R/T from Mexico that also was TIII. With a little modification people have put the TIII head on a '89+ TI or TII block.

I'm not sure what you mean by gasket kit? I bought 16v TC longblock on eBay last May and I haven't been able to find anything for it. Nobody wants to sell individual parts, lots of stuff just totally unavailable unless you have a lot of money or are very lucky. No rod bearings, no valve cover gaskets, heck I can't even find a timing belt.

Iturbo-

I bought 2 brand new mopar timing belts from chrysler last year for my 16v tcs. I even posted the part number and where to order them from, at the time 12 were left. Do a little digging in my past posts using the search im sure its still there, i got them through chrysler online for 58$ each

As far as finding parts, its all about what u are willing to spend. I like the instant boost the masi

has in my daytona with the 3.77 523 5spd trans mated to it with T2 clutch. I can boost the car at idle and leave from a stand still with boost spinning through 1st and 2nd without even revvinng it up.

Well they only made 500 or so of the 16v powered TCs. On the other hand, thousands of Spirit R/Ts were made, and then there was the Daytona IROC R/T which also came with the TIII, and don't forget the Phantom R/T from Mexico that also was TIII. With a little modification people have put the TIII head on a '89+ TI or TII block.

I'm not sure what you mean by gasket kit? I bought 16v TC longblock on eBay last May and I haven't been able to find anything for it. Nobody wants to sell individual parts, lots of stuff just totally unavailable unless you have a lot of money or are very lucky. No rod bearings, no valve cover gaskets, heck I can't even find a timing belt.

Guest angertron3

Ha. I meant gasket set. But i stand corrected i cant find one for the one for the valve cover either. Looks like all they have is for the 6 and the tii. I have a ti with 80,000 in my lebaron now. Maybe ill just stick with that. I bought a tc steering wheel for it randomly on craigslist. Thats what got me thinking about thw swap ha

Nothing wrong with that; you can have a lot of fun with just a TI engine. My brother used to own a 1989 Chrysler Lebaron GTS with factory TII/A555 (trans). We put 2.5" exhaust, grainger valve (boost controller) and a few other minor bolt ons. Car was a blast to drive and made about 180 WHP with 12 psi. That doesn't sound like a whole lot but you gotta remember the Turbo II engine was rated at 175 HP, so with just the exhaust and the boost controller it was making more than that at the wheels.

DSC01358.JPG

Thanks xtreme. I'm actually waiting on an order from that place already for a bunch of TIII parts.

And angertron - there was never a shelby gts, the car I posted pics of is a Chrysler but it came with factory TII like many Shelby cars did. Here's a pic of the '89 GTS above with my Shelby Lancer.

DSC00429.JPG

Guest angertron3

Did the 89 bumper come with that airdam? I want to intercool my motor so it wont get so hot and maybe last a little longer. From what i understand the only way to do that with the ti is to cut the elbow off on the side of the manifold and weld a new piece at a slight angle. You know anything about that?

Yup, that's stock on the '89. It's simillar to the Shelby Lancers, but it doesn't go down quite as far and it's actually two pieces instead of one.

As far as the intake, I've heard of people doing that to intercool the old log TI motors, but I've never gone that route. I think the easiest way would probably be to just convert the TI to TII. That is very popular straightforward swap that doesn't require any welding and is practically a bolt on. All you really need is the later TI or TII intake manifold and fuel injection stuff and you could probably find one for $10 these days. The TI turbo would need a few tweaks and you might have to grind a little on the exhaust manifold for clearance.

What year is your Lebaron GTS by the way?

Guest angertron3

I bought 2 87's. The first one had rear ended a dodge dart and was totalled. However, it has 80,000 miles and was garaged its whole life. I was in the process of repairing it but the strut tower is off about an inch. And i couldnt find a bumper grille and hood anywhere. Then i found another one with a good body but the electronic window regulaters had stopped working and it sat with the windows open since 2008. The motor runs but is very bad and it needs a new clutch. Im in the process of combining the two to make one good car. I would post pics but i do t know how