What is it? - Fordson ??

Dear Peter,<P>I am writing on behalf of my father who has no computer skills what so ever <BR>and me, being his 18 year old daughter, have no interest what so ever in <BR>vintage cars. However, my father recently found a FORDSON MAJOR VAN at an <BR>approx estimate, made 1934? It has a flathead V8 and transverse springs, <BR>(Whatever that means?) and was discovered in Rangoon, Burma. Did this <BR>vehicle exist?.<P>Ford Australia who we have contacted has no knowledge of this model, any <BR>information on it would be very much appreciated. Thank you.<P>Yours sincerely,<P>Nelar Doherty<BR>nelarmarie@hotmail.com<P>bones2.jpg

I'm not an authority on Fords by any means, but I'll take a stab it this. <BR> The vehicle can't be any earlier than 1933, the first year for a flat head V-8 engine. <BR> The transverse spring means the leaf springs under the car run from one side of the car to the other instead of from front to rear like in you newer cars (not the really really new cars because the use what is called strut suspension, which is, in english, a coil spring mounted onto a big shock absober ).<BR> As for this vehicle existing?. Fordson was a subdivision of Ford. With the name MAJOR VAN.? The name MAJOR to my dad and I, yells England. You said it was found in Burma, and if I remember correctly, Burma was ruled by England/UK until 1948. The vehicle probably built and came from there. <BR> In the photo it looks like it was an early form of a suburban truck.<p>[This message has been edited by novaman (edited 08-18-2000).]